Coming Attractions March 2, 2012
March 7 (Wed) — Kids Initiating Design Solutions Program
10 a.m. at Franklin Elementary School, 1915 W. Olmos Drive
Professional architects are working with 3rd-graders on projects incorporating architecture into their studies of art, math and science on Wednesdays throughout March. This day’s lesson will include visits from representatives of the program’s partners and collaborators the Architecture Foundation of San Antonio, Overland Partners Architecture Firm, the Genevieve and Ward Orsinger Foundation (which is funding the school’s participation), Southwest School of the Arts and the University of Texas at San Antonio.
March 9 (Fri) — White House Hispanic Community Action Summit
8:30 to 4 p.m. at Fox Tech High School, 637 N. Main Ave.
Among those scheduled to attend include U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan. San Antonio is one of several cities nationwide hosting these summits connecting senior Obama Administration officials from diverse policy areas with community leaders, business owners and other stakeholders to discuss issues critical to the Hispanic community. While in town other Department of Education staff also might visit SAISD’s Sam Houston High School and the Tynan Early Childhood Education Center. Additionally, District students and parents have been invited to a related event: “A Town Hall on the President’s Education Goals, College Affordability and the Hispanic Community” to be held 5 to 7 p.m. March 8 at the College Café and hosted by Mayor Julián Castro.
March 10 (Sat) — Friends of Sam Houston Annual Community Breakfast
9 a.m. to noon at Sam Houston High School, 4635 E. Houston St.
Keynote speaker will be class of 1999 alum Ya´Ke Smith, a University of Texas at Arlington associate professor and Exodus Filmworks founder/CEO. Tickets are $25 each, and tables can be reserved for $250 and up. Proceeds fund student scholarships. For ticket information call 218-1366 or the school, 661-4134.
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- December 09 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- December 11 20 | 04:45 PM Eagle band to serenade King William Historic Distr...
- December 12 20 | 09:00 AM Mock arrest warrant issued for Santa Claus
- December 12 20 | 06:00 PM Taste of the Season
- December 13 20 | 01:00 PM Toy giveaway
- December 14 20 | 09:00 AM Twentieth-annual mock trial of Santa Claus
- December 23 20 - January 03 20 Holiday - Winter Break
- January 20 20 Holiday - MLK Jr. Day
- February 17 20 Holiday / Bad Weather Day
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School