Coming Attractions March 2, 2012
March 7 (Wed) — Kids Initiating Design Solutions Program
10 a.m. at Franklin Elementary School, 1915 W. Olmos Drive
Professional architects are working with 3rd-graders on projects incorporating architecture into their studies of art, math and science on Wednesdays throughout March. This day’s lesson will include visits from representatives of the program’s partners and collaborators the Architecture Foundation of San Antonio, Overland Partners Architecture Firm, the Genevieve and Ward Orsinger Foundation (which is funding the school’s participation), Southwest School of the Arts and the University of Texas at San Antonio.
March 9 (Fri) — White House Hispanic Community Action Summit
8:30 to 4 p.m. at Fox Tech High School, 637 N. Main Ave.
Among those scheduled to attend include U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan. San Antonio is one of several cities nationwide hosting these summits connecting senior Obama Administration officials from diverse policy areas with community leaders, business owners and other stakeholders to discuss issues critical to the Hispanic community. While in town other Department of Education staff also might visit SAISD’s Sam Houston High School and the Tynan Early Childhood Education Center. Additionally, District students and parents have been invited to a related event: “A Town Hall on the President’s Education Goals, College Affordability and the Hispanic Community” to be held 5 to 7 p.m. March 8 at the College Café and hosted by Mayor Julián Castro.
March 10 (Sat) — Friends of Sam Houston Annual Community Breakfast
9 a.m. to noon at Sam Houston High School, 4635 E. Houston St.
Keynote speaker will be class of 1999 alum Ya´Ke Smith, a University of Texas at Arlington associate professor and Exodus Filmworks founder/CEO. Tickets are $25 each, and tables can be reserved for $250 and up. Proceeds fund student scholarships. For ticket information call 218-1366 or the school, 661-4134.
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 | 05:20 PM Free family fitness classes
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 28 20 | 05:30 PM Health and fitness fair
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 01 20 | 10:00 AM Mass casualty exercise
- May 02 20 | 10:00 AM Pathophysiology Case Prevention Grand Rounds
- May 02 20 | 01:00 PM Cinco de Mayo celebration
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony