Top San Antonio Chefs dish out donations to SAISD student culinary programs
Who: Top chefs representing the San Antonio Chef Coalition along with teachers and students from culinary programs at Burbank, Lanier and Sam Houston high schools
What: Presentation of proceeds from the Chef Coalition’s first fundraiser and announcement of the Chefs plans for ongoing educational support for students across San Antonio
When: April 5 (Thursday) 10:00-10:30 a.m.
Where: Lanier High School Culinary Class,1514 W. Cesar Chavez Blvd.
This newly-formed Coalition comprises top chefs from across the city (including Burbank 1994 alum Jesse Perez) for the purpose of supporting student education and career development in the field of culinary arts. Their inaugural fundraiser was held March 26, and as a result SAISD’s three high school culinary programs will each receive a check for $2,000 and a Vita-Prep commercial food-preparation blender. The money will go toward supplies and resources for student leadership competitions and industry visits.
The San Antonio Chef Coalition is comprised of:
· Chef John Brand of Las Canarias
· Chad Carey, owner of The Monterey
· Jason Dady, chef/owner of Bin 555, Tre Trattoria, Two Bro's BBQ
· Chef David Gilbert of Sustenio
· Sommelier Gabe Howe, Il Sogno
· Chef Steven McHugh of Luke
· Chef Jesse T. Perez, 2009 Top Latino Chef in U.S. and former
executive chef of restaurant Fuego at Hotel Maya, Long Beach,
· Chef Michael Sohocki of Restaurant Gwendolyn
· Chef Andrew Weissman, Il Sogno and Sandbar