Coming Attractions April 20 2012
April 21 (Sat) – Congressional Arts Competition Awards Ceremony
10:30 a.m. at the UTSA Downtown Campus, 501 W. 501 César E. Chávez
Two student artists from SAISD’s Brackenridge High School will be among four from the San Antonio area honored at a ceremony hosted by U.S Rep. Charles Gonzalez, during which first-, second-, third-, and fourth-place winners will be announced. The top-placing student will receive $1,700 and – along with his or her parents – a round-trip airfare and hotel accommodations to attend a reception this summer in Washington, D.C., for all those who placed first from each congressional district nationwide.
April 24 (Tues) — SAISD Council of PTAs general meeting
6:30 p.m. at Gonzalez Achievement Center, 518 E. Magnolia Ave
The public is invited to meetings of PTA chapter representatives throughout the District.
April 26 (Thurs) — Teens and tots collaborate for college
9 to 11 a.m. at all SAISD Early Childhood Education Centers (listed below)
Attired in their favorite varsity wear, Highlands High School seniors will inspire SAISD’s youngest scholars to follow their lead of higher education. After reading to Head Start program 3- and 4-year-olds, the teens will present each with a book containing a note about where they plan to go to college. The Early Childhood Education Centers are:
● Carroll, 463 Holmgreen Road
● Carvajal, 225 Arizona St.
● Knox, 302 Tipton St.
● Tynan, 925 Gulf St.
April 26 (Thurs) — Battle of the Bands
6:30 to 9:00 p.m. at Alamo Stadium, 110 Tuleta St
April 27 (Fri) — Battle of Flowers Parade Day
All District schools and most offices will be closed.
April 29 (Sun) — SAISD students to assist outreach efforts
3:30 to 5 p.m. at First Presbyterian Church of San Antonio, 401 N. Alamo St.
As part of ongoing humanitarian endeavors, Maverick Elementary PALS (Peer Assistance Leadership Students) and Student Council members will help serve food and present monetary donations they have collected for the church’s monthly “Loaves and Fishes” meal and outreach for the homeless and needy. They also will give new toothbrushes and toothpaste gathered through the school’s “Give a Smile” campaign.
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- June 10 20 - June 28 20 | 07:30 AM Greater San Antonio All Stars summer enrichment
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 08:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 10 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM SAISD summer musical theatre camp
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 10:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 11 20 - August 09 20 Seamless Summer Nutrition Program
- June 11 20 - June 28 20 | 09:00 AM Jump Start Your Summer AND GEAR UP for High School
- June 17 20 - August 09 20 | 07:30 AM Summer recreation
- June 17 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM 4th Annual Alamo City Band Camp
- June 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- July 30 20 - July 31 20 | 08:00 AM Pre-K Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 06 20 - August 09 20 Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 14 20 - August 23 20 Staff Development Days
- August 19 20 - August 20 20 Teacher Workday
- August 26 20 First Day of School
- September 02 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 25 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks
- October 28 20 Start of 2nd Nine Weeks
- November 25 20 - November 29 20 Holiday - Thanksgiving Day
- December 23 20 - January 03 20 Holiday - Winter Break
- January 20 20 Holiday - MLK Jr. Day