Coming Attractions April 26 2012
April 27 (Fri) — Battle of Flowers Parade Day
All District schools and most offices will be closed.
April 29 (Sun) — SAISD students to assist outreach efforts
3:30 to 5 p.m. at First Presbyterian Church of San Antonio, 401 N. Alamo St.
As part of ongoing humanitarian endeavors, Maverick Elementary PALS (Peer Assistance Leadership Students) and Student Council members will help serve food and present monetary donations they have collected for the church’s monthly “Loaves and Fishes” meal and outreach for the homeless and needy. They also will give new toothbrushes and toothpaste gathered through the school’s “Give a Smile” campaign.
May 2 (Wed) — Young historians preserve their roots and personal history through scrapbooking
3:30 p.m. at Riverside Park Elementary School, 202 School St.
Artistry, family and history are coming together for 2nd-5th-graders through the newly-formed Scrapbook Club, providing a fun way to document the key events in theirs and their family’s lives. Materials were provided through donations from United Way and scrapbooking friends of two of the school’s teachers.
May 3 (Thurs) — Little Engineers in the Making
3 to 4 p.m. at the Tynan Early Childhood Education Center, 925 Gulf St.
Exhibits exemplifying how the youngest tykes already are learning skills in all aspects of engineering - civil, biochemistry, electrical, mechanical, environmental, Earth and space and manufacturing - will be on display and hands-on experiments conducted. The exhibition is part of the 3- and 4-year-olds’ studies in the STEM fields of science, technology, engineering and math. Special guests will be Sam Houston High School’s award-winning robotics team. The community is invited to find out more about these and other learning opportunities at this Head Start program center. Door prizes also will be provided and refreshments served.
May 4 (Fri) — First Annual Fiesta Day
9:45 a.m. at Highland Park Elementary School, 635 Rigsby Ave
Kicking off the festivities will be a Fiesta parade around the campus and the school’s own royal court will be introduced. Following the parade, community members are invited to stay for refreshments and tour the school.
May 4 (Fri) — Whataburger Winner’s Circle grand prize pep rally
2:15 p.m. at Longfellow Middle School, 1130 E. Sunshine Drive
Mascots including the Spurs Coyote, Whataburger’s Whataguy and the Silver Dancers will lead cheers to celebrate Longfellow teachers submitting the most of the restaurant’s Winner’s Circle certificates of any area middle school to recognize student achievement. The 88 Longfellow students selected for the Winner’s Circle also will be recognized at the pep rally. Later, Longfellow teachers, coaches and counselors will recommend one student - based on positive behavior such as attending class on time, academics, citizenship and leadership - to be honored during half-time of a Spurs game.
May 5 (Sat) — SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Marriott Plaza Hotel Hidalgo Ballroom, 555 S. Alamo St.
Initial screening interviews will be held for fully-certified educators and teacher candidates enrolled in alternative certification programs who are qualified to teach pre-kinder to grade 5, or for one of the District’s pre-kinder to grade 8 academies (8 a.m. to noon) and for secondary grades (1 to 4:30 p.m.). Interviews also will be conducted for counselors, librarians, nurses and coaches. Applicants may park free nearby at SAISD’s Central Office lot, 141 Lavaca St. The application process begins online at www.saisd.net.
May 6 (Sun) — Lanier High School students to launch twin rockets
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Hillview Ranch, 4259 Rural Route 1323 Country Road, Willow City
Again this year Science Research and Design students from SAISD’s Lanier High School will participate in the SystemsGo aeroscience project. For the first time they will send two rockets up into space – Blue Lightning and Voknova. The Lanier team will be among students representing more than 60 high schools statewide at this site near Fredericksburg. Rockets will be launched every 20 minutes with the order determined that day.
- April 14 20 - April 17 20 | 05:20 PM Free family fitness classes
- April 17 20 | 02:00 PM Annual Fiesta Shoebox Float Parade
- April 17 20 | 06:15 PM Second Annual Pitch for the Cure
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony