Coming Attractions May 11 2012
May 11, 2012
May 12 (Sat) — Rummage sale and health fair
8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Mission Academy, 9210 S. Presa St.
The community is invited to take advantage of health screenings and information from a variety of service providers and to find some must-have treasures at the rummage sale. The event also will include music and food booths. Proceeds will go toward end-of-the-school-year student incentives such as field trips, award trophies and commemorative class T-shirts and a panoramic photo for 8th-graders.
May 12 (Sat) — SAISD high schoolers to graduate from SAC
10 a.m. at the Freeman Coliseum, 3201 E. Houston St.
Nearly 50 seniors from the District’s Travis Early College High School will graduate with associate degrees from San Antonio College – more than a month prior to their high school commencement. Since they were high school freshmen these members of TECHS first graduating class and their classmates have had the opportunity to simultaneously earn both college (up to 60 hours) and high school credit. One of the featured speakers at SAC’s commencement will be TECH’s own valedictorian Andrew De La Luna, who is among those to receive their college diplomas Saturday morning. TECH’s graduation will be
May 14-18 — Career Days
Times vary by day at Maverick Elementary School, 107 Raleigh Place at Babcock Road
Presenters will include representatives from a variety of professions throughout the week. Wednesday will be career picture day for students when they can be photographed with props representing their future professions. Thursday’s presentation will be Careers on Wheels, during which presenters from the fields of energy, engineering, firefighting, health, law enforcement, media and public transportation will bring the vehicles they use on the job.
May 15 (Tue) — Annual White Rose Induction ceremony
6 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
The class of 2019 will be welcomed into the Young Women’s Leadership Academy by accepting a white rose as their names are called. The ceremony is in honor of their selection as incoming 6th-graders this fall at San Antonio’s only all-girls public school.
May 16 (Wed) — Academic Achievement Reception
6 p.m. at the Alamo Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta Drive next to Alamo Stadium
In the spotlight will be members of SAISD’s class of 2012 who will be honored for a variety of academic accomplishments.
May 19 (Sat) — Fun/Run Walk
8:30 a.m. at Bowden Elementary School, 515 Willow St.
The event featuring fitness and fun will include music and other entertainment along with games and free books for children. Registration will start at 7 a.m. Sponsors include school staff, the Dignowity Hill Neighborhood Association, H-E-B, KLIRN-TV, the Rollie Pollie Bike Club, the San Antonio Public Library and Select Federal Credit Union.
May 19 (Sat) — Got N.E.W.S.? healthy lifestyle celebration
9 a.m. to 1 p.m. a Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin St.
The importance of nutrition, exercise, water and sleep will be highlighted with vendors and service providers representing a variety of companies and organizations available to answer questions and offer information. Sponsors will include more than dozen entities.
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- June 10 20 - June 28 20 | 07:30 AM Greater San Antonio All Stars summer enrichment
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 08:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 10 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM SAISD summer musical theatre camp
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 10:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 11 20 - August 09 20 Seamless Summer Nutrition Program
- June 11 20 - June 28 20 | 09:00 AM Jump Start Your Summer AND GEAR UP for High School
- June 17 20 - August 09 20 | 07:30 AM Summer recreation
- June 17 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM 4th Annual Alamo City Band Camp
- July 30 20 - July 31 20 | 08:00 AM Pre-K Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 06 20 - August 09 20 Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 14 20 - August 23 20 Staff Development Days
- August 19 20 - August 20 20 Teacher Workday
- August 26 20 First Day of School
- September 02 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 25 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks
- October 28 20 Start of 2nd Nine Weeks
- November 25 20 - November 29 20 Holiday - Thanksgiving Day
- December 23 20 - January 03 20 Holiday - Winter Break
- January 20 20 Holiday - MLK Jr. Day
- February 17 20 Holiday / Bad Weather Day