Coming Attractions June 8, 2012
June 8, 2012
June 11 (Mon) — School Board meeting
4 p.m. at the Central Office Board Room, 141 Lavaca St.
June 11 (Mon) — Cooper Academy graduation ceremony
7 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
June 14 (Thurs) — Travis Early College High School graduation ceremony
7 p.m. at San Antonio College’s McAllister Auditorium, 1300 San Pedro Ave.
Summer programs for students *
These are just a sample, and may be subject to change. Parents are asked to contact their child’s school for more information.
Ongoing thru June 29 — Elementary summer enrichment
7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Huppertz, 247 Bangor St.; Woodlawn, 1717 W. Magnolia Ave.; and Woodlawn Hills, 110 W. Quill Drive
Supervised academic and enrichment opportunities including art, guitar lessons, Zumba dance, martial arts and field trips – some of which are centered around a theme - are offered in partnership with the Greater San Antonio All Stars.
Ongoing thru Aug. 3 — Summer recreation
7 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays at Franklin Elementary School, 1915 W. Olmos Drive
Supervised recreational opportunities are offered in partnership with the YMCA.
Ongoing thru Aug. 17 — Seamless Summer Nutrition Program
7 to 8 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at participating SAISD campuses
Free breakfast and lunch are served to anyone 18 years old and younger. The federally-funded nutrition program is available to districts like SAISD in which large numbers of students receive free meals during the school year.
June 11-14 — ACT OUT Theatre Camp
12:45 to 4:45 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive
About 30 6th- and 7th-grade aspiring thespians will be introduced to the foundation skills of theater. including character development, costume design, set design and stage lighting.
June 11-15 — Third Annual Alamo City Band Camp
8:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. at Fox Tech High School, 637 N. Main Ave.
More than 250 middle school-level band students can improve their performance skills through both individualized and group training led by SAISD band directors and other professional musicians.
June 11-15 — GEAR UP ‘I’m the First’ bridge program
9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Café College, 131 El Paso St.
About 70 incoming 8th-graders will attend college readiness and career exploration workshops as part of their participation in Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs, designed to help the class of 2017 prepare for success in higher education and beyond. They also will preview college life by taking a field trip to Texas A&M University-Kingsville. This is one of two “I’m the First” bridge programs offered to GEAR UP students this summer by San Antonio Education Partnership.
June 11 thru Aug 10 — SA Youth Programs
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at centers throughout San Antonio
Students are eligible for free learning opportunities and activities including technology, physical education, music, culture, arts and other fun activities through SA Youth. Participating SAISD students attend Maverick and Pershing elementaries.
June 11 thru Aug 10 — SA Youth Programs
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. César Chávez Blvd., and Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Supervised recreational opportunities for teens enrolled at these two high schools will be offered in partnership with San Antonio Youth.
June 16 (Sat) — GEAR UP Solar Hot Rods program
9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Good Samaritan Community Center, 1600 Saltillo St.
Studying the STEM subjects of science, technology, engineering and math will be made fun for about 40 incoming 8th-graders by building and racing solar-powered model cars. This will be the first of four sessions for students participating in Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs, designed to help the class of 2017 prepare for success in higher education and beyond. The Solar Hot Rods program is in partnership with the University of Texas at San Antonio and UTSA’s Interactive Technology Experience Center.
* NOTE TO MEDIA – Please contact the SAISD Communications Department to coordinate coverage.
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- March 12 20 | 01:30 PM Campus makeover and cookout
- March 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- March 19 20 | 05:30 PM Open house for all-new Cameron
- March 20 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- March 20 20 | 06:30 PM Community health fair
- March 26 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- March 29 20 | 08:30 AM Run 4Education
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- August 13 20 - August 15 20 Staff Development
- August 18 20 - August 19 20 Teacher Workdays
- August 20 20 - August 22 20 Staff Development
- August 25 20 First Day of School
- September 01 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 20 20 - October 23 20 State Testing Dates
- October 24 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks