Coming Attractions July 20, 2012
July 20, 2012
July 23 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at the Central Office Board Room, 141 Lavaca St.
July 25 (Wed) — Lasso Alumni social and fundraiser
5:30 to 7 p.m. at Chris Madrid's Tacos and Burgers, 1900 Blanco Road
Proceeds will benefit the Jefferson High School Lasso Alumni Association which supports San Antonio’s most famous rope twirlers. T-shirts, ropes and limited edition Lasso Fiesta medals will be available for purchase. The event also will honor Lassos of the 1960s. Special guests will include District 7 City Councilmember Cris Medina and Jefferson alum Ed Garza, SAISD’s School Board president
Summer programs for students *
These are just a sample, and may be subject to change. Parents are asked to contact their child’s school for more information.
July 21 (Sat) – Interactive Technology Day
9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the UTSA main campus, One UTSA Circle
Incoming 8th-graders who have participated in the previous Solar Hot Rods camps and their parents are invited to attend. Topics will include aviation, the environment, medical fields and robotics. Participants are members of Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs, designed to help the class of 2017 prepare for success in higher education and beyond. Their summer session - offered in partnership with the University of Texas at San Antonio and UTSA’s Interactive Technology Experience Center - was designed to provide students with a fun way to study the STEM subjects of science, technology, math and engineering.
July 21 (Sat) – SAC’s High-School Summer Theater Camp performance
2 p.m. at San Antonio College, 1300 San Pedro Ave.
Students will demonstrate what they have learned in camp by presenting a one-act public performance.
Ongoing thru Aug. 3 — Summer recreation
7 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays at Franklin Elementary School, 1915 W. Olmos Drive
Supervised recreational opportunities are offered in partnership with the YMCA.
Ongoing thru Aug 10 — SA Youth Programs
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at centers throughout San Antonio
Students are eligible for free learning opportunities and activities including technology, physical education, music, culture, arts and other fun activities through SA Youth. Participating SAISD students attend Maverick and Pershing elementaries.
Ongoing thru Aug 10 — SA Youth Programs
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. César Chávez Blvd., and Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Supervised recreational opportunities for teens enrolled at these two high schools will be offered in partnership with San Antonio Youth.
Ongoing thru Aug. 17 — Seamless Summer Nutrition Program
7 to 8 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at participating SAISD campuses
Free breakfast and lunch are served to anyone 18 years old and younger. The federally-funded nutrition program is available to districts like SAISD in which large numbers of students receive free meals during the school year.
* NOTE TO MEDIA – Please contact the SAISD Communications Department to coordinate coverage.
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- March 12 20 | 01:30 PM Campus makeover and cookout
- March 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- March 19 20 | 05:30 PM Open house for all-new Cameron
- March 20 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- March 20 20 | 06:30 PM Community health fair
- March 26 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- March 29 20 | 08:30 AM Run 4Education
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- August 13 20 - August 15 20 Staff Development
- August 18 20 - August 19 20 Teacher Workdays
- August 20 20 - August 22 20 Staff Development
- August 25 20 First Day of School
- September 01 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 20 20 - October 23 20 State Testing Dates
- October 24 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks