Coming Attractions July 20, 2012
July 20, 2012
July 23 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at the Central Office Board Room, 141 Lavaca St.
July 25 (Wed) — Lasso Alumni social and fundraiser
5:30 to 7 p.m. at Chris Madrid's Tacos and Burgers, 1900 Blanco Road
Proceeds will benefit the Jefferson High School Lasso Alumni Association which supports San Antonio’s most famous rope twirlers. T-shirts, ropes and limited edition Lasso Fiesta medals will be available for purchase. The event also will honor Lassos of the 1960s. Special guests will include District 7 City Councilmember Cris Medina and Jefferson alum Ed Garza, SAISD’s School Board president
Summer programs for students *
These are just a sample, and may be subject to change. Parents are asked to contact their child’s school for more information.
July 21 (Sat) – Interactive Technology Day
9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the UTSA main campus, One UTSA Circle
Incoming 8th-graders who have participated in the previous Solar Hot Rods camps and their parents are invited to attend. Topics will include aviation, the environment, medical fields and robotics. Participants are members of Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs, designed to help the class of 2017 prepare for success in higher education and beyond. Their summer session - offered in partnership with the University of Texas at San Antonio and UTSA’s Interactive Technology Experience Center - was designed to provide students with a fun way to study the STEM subjects of science, technology, math and engineering.
July 21 (Sat) – SAC’s High-School Summer Theater Camp performance
2 p.m. at San Antonio College, 1300 San Pedro Ave.
Students will demonstrate what they have learned in camp by presenting a one-act public performance.
Ongoing thru Aug. 3 — Summer recreation
7 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays at Franklin Elementary School, 1915 W. Olmos Drive
Supervised recreational opportunities are offered in partnership with the YMCA.
Ongoing thru Aug 10 — SA Youth Programs
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at centers throughout San Antonio
Students are eligible for free learning opportunities and activities including technology, physical education, music, culture, arts and other fun activities through SA Youth. Participating SAISD students attend Maverick and Pershing elementaries.
Ongoing thru Aug 10 — SA Youth Programs
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. César Chávez Blvd., and Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Supervised recreational opportunities for teens enrolled at these two high schools will be offered in partnership with San Antonio Youth.
Ongoing thru Aug. 17 — Seamless Summer Nutrition Program
7 to 8 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at participating SAISD campuses
Free breakfast and lunch are served to anyone 18 years old and younger. The federally-funded nutrition program is available to districts like SAISD in which large numbers of students receive free meals during the school year.
* NOTE TO MEDIA – Please contact the SAISD Communications Department to coordinate coverage.
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- June 10 20 - June 28 20 | 07:30 AM Greater San Antonio All Stars summer enrichment
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 08:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 10 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM SAISD summer musical theatre camp
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 10:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 11 20 - August 09 20 Seamless Summer Nutrition Program
- June 11 20 - June 28 20 | 09:00 AM Jump Start Your Summer AND GEAR UP for High School
- June 17 20 - August 09 20 | 07:30 AM Summer recreation
- June 17 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM 4th Annual Alamo City Band Camp
- July 30 20 - July 31 20 | 08:00 AM Pre-K Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 06 20 - August 09 20 Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 14 20 - August 23 20 Staff Development Days
- August 19 20 - August 20 20 Teacher Workday
- August 26 20 First Day of School
- September 02 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 25 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks
- October 28 20 Start of 2nd Nine Weeks
- November 25 20 - November 29 20 Holiday - Thanksgiving Day
- December 23 20 - January 03 20 Holiday - Winter Break
- January 20 20 Holiday - MLK Jr. Day
- February 17 20 Holiday / Bad Weather Day