Coming Attractions July 27, 2012
July 27, 2012
July 30-31— Pre-K program application
8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at SAISD elementaries and pre-K to grade 8 academies
Applications will be accepted at the child’s home campus for the District’s acclaimed pre-kindergarten program. To qualify, children must be 3 or 4 on or before Sept. 1, and also meet other criteria including need. For more information call 554-2410 or visit www.saisd.net.
Aug. 1 (Wed) — CPR training and SAISD Fitness Night
8 a.m. to noon and 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive
The morning session will provide participants an opportunity to learn procedures in cardiopulmonary resuscitation while the evening’s event will feature the popular Zumba dance fitness program.SAISD’s participation is part of the San Antonio Sports-sponsored 2012 Fit Family Challenge that concludes Aug. 8.
Summer programs for students *
These are just a sample, and maybe subject to change. Parents are asked to contact their child’s school for more information.
July 30 thru Aug. 3 — GEAR UP ‘I’m the First’ bridge program
9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Café College, 131 El Paso St.
About 70 incoming 8th-graders will attend college readiness and career exploration workshops as part of their participation in Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs, designed to help the class of 2017 prepare for success in higher education and beyond. They also will preview college life through a field trip to Texas Lutheran University. The “I’m the First” bridge program is offered to GEAR UP students through San Antonio Education Partnership.
July 30 thru Aug. 3 — Young Women’s Leadership Academy summer camps
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at locations listed below.
Students at San Antonio’s only all-girls public school are getting a jumpstart on the new school year through learning opportunities including:
● San Antonio Botanical Gardens Camp, 555 Funston Place - Incoming 8th-graders will study basic biological processes and concepts through a series of hands-on investigations, field lessons and guest expert presentations.
● UT Health Science Center Camp, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive – Science Enrichment class students will get an in-depth look at the field of medicine. Activities will include touring a cadaver lab and hands-on classroom experiences and lectures.
Ongoing thru Aug. 3 — Summer recreation
7 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays at Franklin Elementary School, 1915 W. Olmos Drive
Supervised recreational opportunities are offered in partnership with the YMCA.
Ongoing thru Aug 10 — SA Youth Programs
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at centers throughout San Antonio
Students are eligible for free learning opportunities and activities including technology, physical education, music, culture, arts and other fun activities through SA Youth. Participating SAISD students attend Maverick and Pershing elementaries.
Ongoing thru Aug 10 — SA Youth Programs
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. César Chávez Blvd., and Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Supervised recreational opportunities for teens enrolled at these two high schools will be offered in partnership with San Antonio Youth.
Ongoing thru Aug. 17 — Seamless Summer Nutrition Program
7 to 8 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at participating SAISD campuses
Free breakfast and lunch are served to anyone 18 years old and younger. The federally-funded nutrition program is available to districts like SAISD in which large numbers of students receive free meals during the school year.
* NOTE TO MEDIA – Please contact the SAISD Communications Department to coordinate coverage.
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- March 12 20 | 01:30 PM Campus makeover and cookout
- March 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- March 19 20 | 05:30 PM Open house for all-new Cameron
- March 20 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- March 20 20 | 06:30 PM Community health fair
- March 26 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- March 29 20 | 08:30 AM Run 4Education
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- August 13 20 - August 15 20 Staff Development
- August 18 20 - August 19 20 Teacher Workdays
- August 20 20 - August 22 20 Staff Development
- August 25 20 First Day of School
- September 01 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 20 20 - October 23 20 State Testing Dates
- October 24 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks