Coming Attractions July 27, 2012
July 27, 2012
July 30-31— Pre-K program application
8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at SAISD elementaries and pre-K to grade 8 academies
Applications will be accepted at the child’s home campus for the District’s acclaimed pre-kindergarten program. To qualify, children must be 3 or 4 on or before Sept. 1, and also meet other criteria including need. For more information call 554-2410 or visit www.saisd.net.
Aug. 1 (Wed) — CPR training and SAISD Fitness Night
8 a.m. to noon and 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive
The morning session will provide participants an opportunity to learn procedures in cardiopulmonary resuscitation while the evening’s event will feature the popular Zumba dance fitness program.SAISD’s participation is part of the San Antonio Sports-sponsored 2012 Fit Family Challenge that concludes Aug. 8.
Summer programs for students *
These are just a sample, and maybe subject to change. Parents are asked to contact their child’s school for more information.
July 30 thru Aug. 3 — GEAR UP ‘I’m the First’ bridge program
9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Café College, 131 El Paso St.
About 70 incoming 8th-graders will attend college readiness and career exploration workshops as part of their participation in Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs, designed to help the class of 2017 prepare for success in higher education and beyond. They also will preview college life through a field trip to Texas Lutheran University. The “I’m the First” bridge program is offered to GEAR UP students through San Antonio Education Partnership.
July 30 thru Aug. 3 — Young Women’s Leadership Academy summer camps
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at locations listed below.
Students at San Antonio’s only all-girls public school are getting a jumpstart on the new school year through learning opportunities including:
● San Antonio Botanical Gardens Camp, 555 Funston Place - Incoming 8th-graders will study basic biological processes and concepts through a series of hands-on investigations, field lessons and guest expert presentations.
● UT Health Science Center Camp, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive – Science Enrichment class students will get an in-depth look at the field of medicine. Activities will include touring a cadaver lab and hands-on classroom experiences and lectures.
Ongoing thru Aug. 3 — Summer recreation
7 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays at Franklin Elementary School, 1915 W. Olmos Drive
Supervised recreational opportunities are offered in partnership with the YMCA.
Ongoing thru Aug 10 — SA Youth Programs
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at centers throughout San Antonio
Students are eligible for free learning opportunities and activities including technology, physical education, music, culture, arts and other fun activities through SA Youth. Participating SAISD students attend Maverick and Pershing elementaries.
Ongoing thru Aug 10 — SA Youth Programs
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. César Chávez Blvd., and Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Supervised recreational opportunities for teens enrolled at these two high schools will be offered in partnership with San Antonio Youth.
Ongoing thru Aug. 17 — Seamless Summer Nutrition Program
7 to 8 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at participating SAISD campuses
Free breakfast and lunch are served to anyone 18 years old and younger. The federally-funded nutrition program is available to districts like SAISD in which large numbers of students receive free meals during the school year.
* NOTE TO MEDIA – Please contact the SAISD Communications Department to coordinate coverage.
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- December 11 20 | 04:45 PM Eagle band to serenade King William Historic Distr...
- December 12 20 | 09:00 AM Mock arrest warrant issued for Santa Claus
- December 12 20 | 06:00 PM Taste of the Season
- December 13 20 | 01:00 PM Toy giveaway
- December 14 20 | 09:00 AM Twentieth-annual mock trial of Santa Claus
- December 23 20 - January 03 20 Holiday - Winter Break
- January 20 20 Holiday - MLK Jr. Day
- February 17 20 Holiday / Bad Weather Day
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School