Coming Attractions August 3, 2012
August 3, 2012
Aug. 8 (Wed) — SAISD Fitness Night
5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica St.
The evening’s featured activity will be the popular Zumba dance fitness program. SAISD’s participation is part of the San Antonio Sports-sponsored 2012 Fit Family Challenge.
Summer programs for students *
These are just a sample, and maybe subject to change. Parents are asked to contact their child’s school for more information.
Aug. 6-10 — Young Women’s Leadership Academy summer camps
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Young Women’s Leadership Academy, 2123 W. Huisache Ave.
Students at San Antonio’s only all-girls public school are getting a jumpstart on the new school year through learning opportunities including:
● AP Camp – Incoming 10th- and 11th-graders will begin preparing for their rigorous Advanced Placement coursework.
● Analytical Writing Camp – Debate, real world topics and the creation of the word game Mad Libs and recipe and guidebooks will provide a preview for incoming freshmen on their upcoming English and language composition course.
● Girls Inc. and Girl Scouts Summer Camp – Using the STEM subjects of science, technology, engineering and mathematics, incoming 6th-graders will work in partnership with Valero, H-E-B, and CPS Energy to learn about healthy living and the environment.
● STEM Camp – Working in teams, incoming 7th-graders will investigate the engineering process and the properties of physics. They will also discover the algebraic connections to science and engineering through engaging hands on activities.
Ongoing thru Aug 10 — SA Youth Programs
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at centers throughout San Antonio
Students are eligible for free learning opportunities and activities including technology, physical education, music, culture, arts and other fun activities through SA Youth. Participating SAISD students attend Maverick and Pershing elementaries.
Ongoing thru Aug 10 — SA Youth Programs
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. César Chávez Blvd., and Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Supervised recreational opportunities for teens enrolled at these two high schools will be offered in partnership with San Antonio Youth.
Ongoing thru Aug. 17 — Seamless Summer Nutrition Program
7 to 8 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at participating SAISD campuses
Free breakfast and lunch are served to anyone 18 years old and younger. The federally-funded nutrition program is available to districts like SAISD in which large numbers of students receive free meals during the school year.
* NOTE TO MEDIA – Please contact the SAISD Communications Department to coordinate coverage.
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 18 20 | 09:00 AM PTA LOT
- May 18 20 | 09:00 AM Go Green Club craft, art and rummage sale
- May 18 20 | 12:30 PM Middle School UIL awards ceremony
- May 20 20 | 09:00 AM Parent room grand opening
- May 20 20 | 09:00 AM Career Day
- May 20 20 | 10:00 AM Edison High School to hold Mock Disater Drill
- May 20 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- May 21 20 | 10:00 AM Excellence in Education news conference
- May 22 20 | 05:00 PM 2013 Art Showcase
- May 22 20 | 06:30 PM SAISD Night of Champions
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony