Coming Attractions August 17, 2012
August 17, 2012
Aug. 20 (Mon) — SAISD Council of PTAs annual membership drive kickoff
4 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
In anticipation of the upcoming school year, student spirit groups from throughout the District will lead a pep rally encouraging parents, employees, and other community members to support the nation’s largest parent-teacher organization
Aug. 20 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
Aug. 21 (Tues) — Acclaimed author and educator to highlight Convocation 2012
8:45 to 11 a.m. at the Freeman Coliseum, 3201 E. Houston St.
“Championing Children of Promise” will be the theme when the more than 7,600-member SAISD family of employees gathers to welcome 2012-13. Keynote speaker for Convocation 2012 will be inspirational educator Erin Gruwell, whose New York Times bestselling book “The Freedom Writer’s Diary” was the basis for the movie “The Freedom Writers” starring Hilary Swank and Patrick Dempsey. Other special guests will include Henry Cisneros, former Housing and Urban Development Secretary and San Antonio mayor and Carri Baker Wells, chairman of the SAISD Foundation. Gruwell’s appearance and Convocation 2012 are being funded through the SAISD Foundation and H-E-B.
Aug. 23 (Thurs) — SAISD summer graduation ceremony
7 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
The colors of all SAISD high schools will be represented in this commencement ceremony for 12th-graders Districtwide who completed graduation requirements by attending summer school.
Aug. 24 (Fri) — Jefferson High School Ice Cream Social
5 p.m. at the Alamo Stadium and Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta Drive
This annual extravaganza of food, fun and entertainment provides students, staff and alumni an opportunity to celebrate the upcoming school year. Beverages and brisket plates will be sold starting at 5 p.m. in the Convocation Center where participants will be treated to a performance by the Lassos and the Lasso Alumni Association. Festivities move to Alamo Stadium at 7 p.m. for Pass and Review, a traditional parade featuring student spirit groups, followed by free ice cream for all at 7:30 p.m., courtesy of the Deco H-E-B. Special guests will include Jefferson alums Ed Garza, SAISD School Board president and KSAT-TV sportscaster Greg Simmons, who also will emcee Pass and Review.
* NOTE TO MEDIA – Please contact the SAISD Communications Department to coordinate coverage.
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 17 20 | 10:00 AM San Antonio Fire Department S.A.F.E. House demonst...
- May 17 20 | 10:00 AM Drawing to treat perfect attendance student to Tay...
- May 18 20 | 09:00 AM PTA LOT
- May 18 20 | 09:00 AM Go Green Club craft, art and rummage sale
- May 18 20 | 12:30 PM Middle School UIL awards ceremony
- May 20 20 | 09:00 AM Parent room grand opening
- May 20 20 | 09:00 AM Career Day
- May 20 20 | 10:00 AM Edison High School to hold Mock Disater Drill
- May 20 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- May 21 20 | 10:00 AM Excellence in Education news conference
- May 22 20 | 05:00 PM 2013 Art Showcase
- May 22 20 | 06:30 PM SAISD Night of Champions
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony