Coming Attractions August 17, 2012
August 17, 2012
Aug. 20 (Mon) — SAISD Council of PTAs annual membership drive kickoff
4 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
In anticipation of the upcoming school year, student spirit groups from throughout the District will lead a pep rally encouraging parents, employees, and other community members to support the nation’s largest parent-teacher organization
Aug. 20 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
Aug. 21 (Tues) — Acclaimed author and educator to highlight Convocation 2012
8:45 to 11 a.m. at the Freeman Coliseum, 3201 E. Houston St.
“Championing Children of Promise” will be the theme when the more than 7,600-member SAISD family of employees gathers to welcome 2012-13. Keynote speaker for Convocation 2012 will be inspirational educator Erin Gruwell, whose New York Times bestselling book “The Freedom Writer’s Diary” was the basis for the movie “The Freedom Writers” starring Hilary Swank and Patrick Dempsey. Other special guests will include Henry Cisneros, former Housing and Urban Development Secretary and San Antonio mayor and Carri Baker Wells, chairman of the SAISD Foundation. Gruwell’s appearance and Convocation 2012 are being funded through the SAISD Foundation and H-E-B.
Aug. 23 (Thurs) — SAISD summer graduation ceremony
7 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
The colors of all SAISD high schools will be represented in this commencement ceremony for 12th-graders Districtwide who completed graduation requirements by attending summer school.
Aug. 24 (Fri) — Jefferson High School Ice Cream Social
5 p.m. at the Alamo Stadium and Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta Drive
This annual extravaganza of food, fun and entertainment provides students, staff and alumni an opportunity to celebrate the upcoming school year. Beverages and brisket plates will be sold starting at 5 p.m. in the Convocation Center where participants will be treated to a performance by the Lassos and the Lasso Alumni Association. Festivities move to Alamo Stadium at 7 p.m. for Pass and Review, a traditional parade featuring student spirit groups, followed by free ice cream for all at 7:30 p.m., courtesy of the Deco H-E-B. Special guests will include Jefferson alums Ed Garza, SAISD School Board president and KSAT-TV sportscaster Greg Simmons, who also will emcee Pass and Review.
* NOTE TO MEDIA – Please contact the SAISD Communications Department to coordinate coverage.
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- December 09 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- December 11 20 | 04:45 PM Eagle band to serenade King William Historic Distr...
- December 12 20 | 09:00 AM Mock arrest warrant issued for Santa Claus
- December 12 20 | 06:00 PM Taste of the Season
- December 13 20 | 01:00 PM Toy giveaway
- December 14 20 | 09:00 AM Twentieth-annual mock trial of Santa Claus
- December 23 20 - January 03 20 Holiday - Winter Break
- January 20 20 Holiday - MLK Jr. Day
- February 17 20 Holiday / Bad Weather Day
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School