Coming Attractions August 17, 2012
August 17, 2012
Aug. 20 (Mon) — SAISD Council of PTAs annual membership drive kickoff
4 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
In anticipation of the upcoming school year, student spirit groups from throughout the District will lead a pep rally encouraging parents, employees, and other community members to support the nation’s largest parent-teacher organization
Aug. 20 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
Aug. 21 (Tues) — Acclaimed author and educator to highlight Convocation 2012
8:45 to 11 a.m. at the Freeman Coliseum, 3201 E. Houston St.
“Championing Children of Promise” will be the theme when the more than 7,600-member SAISD family of employees gathers to welcome 2012-13. Keynote speaker for Convocation 2012 will be inspirational educator Erin Gruwell, whose New York Times bestselling book “The Freedom Writer’s Diary” was the basis for the movie “The Freedom Writers” starring Hilary Swank and Patrick Dempsey. Other special guests will include Henry Cisneros, former Housing and Urban Development Secretary and San Antonio mayor and Carri Baker Wells, chairman of the SAISD Foundation. Gruwell’s appearance and Convocation 2012 are being funded through the SAISD Foundation and H-E-B.
Aug. 23 (Thurs) — SAISD summer graduation ceremony
7 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
The colors of all SAISD high schools will be represented in this commencement ceremony for 12th-graders Districtwide who completed graduation requirements by attending summer school.
Aug. 24 (Fri) — Jefferson High School Ice Cream Social
5 p.m. at the Alamo Stadium and Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta Drive
This annual extravaganza of food, fun and entertainment provides students, staff and alumni an opportunity to celebrate the upcoming school year. Beverages and brisket plates will be sold starting at 5 p.m. in the Convocation Center where participants will be treated to a performance by the Lassos and the Lasso Alumni Association. Festivities move to Alamo Stadium at 7 p.m. for Pass and Review, a traditional parade featuring student spirit groups, followed by free ice cream for all at 7:30 p.m., courtesy of the Deco H-E-B. Special guests will include Jefferson alums Ed Garza, SAISD School Board president and KSAT-TV sportscaster Greg Simmons, who also will emcee Pass and Review.
* NOTE TO MEDIA – Please contact the SAISD Communications Department to coordinate coverage.
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- June 10 20 - June 28 20 | 07:30 AM Greater San Antonio All Stars summer enrichment
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 08:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 10 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM SAISD summer musical theatre camp
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 10:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 11 20 - August 09 20 Seamless Summer Nutrition Program
- June 11 20 - June 28 20 | 09:00 AM Jump Start Your Summer AND GEAR UP for High School
- June 17 20 - August 09 20 | 07:30 AM Summer recreation
- June 17 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM 4th Annual Alamo City Band Camp
- July 30 20 - July 31 20 | 08:00 AM Pre-K Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 06 20 - August 09 20 Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 14 20 - August 23 20 Staff Development Days
- August 19 20 - August 20 20 Teacher Workday
- August 26 20 First Day of School
- September 02 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 25 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks
- October 28 20 Start of 2nd Nine Weeks
- November 25 20 - November 29 20 Holiday - Thanksgiving Day
- December 23 20 - January 03 20 Holiday - Winter Break
- January 20 20 Holiday - MLK Jr. Day
- February 17 20 Holiday / Bad Weather Day