Coming Attractions August 17, 2012
August 17, 2012
Aug. 20 (Mon) — SAISD Council of PTAs annual membership drive kickoff
4 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
In anticipation of the upcoming school year, student spirit groups from throughout the District will lead a pep rally encouraging parents, employees, and other community members to support the nation’s largest parent-teacher organization
Aug. 20 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
Aug. 21 (Tues) — Acclaimed author and educator to highlight Convocation 2012
8:45 to 11 a.m. at the Freeman Coliseum, 3201 E. Houston St.
“Championing Children of Promise” will be the theme when the more than 7,600-member SAISD family of employees gathers to welcome 2012-13. Keynote speaker for Convocation 2012 will be inspirational educator Erin Gruwell, whose New York Times bestselling book “The Freedom Writer’s Diary” was the basis for the movie “The Freedom Writers” starring Hilary Swank and Patrick Dempsey. Other special guests will include Henry Cisneros, former Housing and Urban Development Secretary and San Antonio mayor and Carri Baker Wells, chairman of the SAISD Foundation. Gruwell’s appearance and Convocation 2012 are being funded through the SAISD Foundation and H-E-B.
Aug. 23 (Thurs) — SAISD summer graduation ceremony
7 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
The colors of all SAISD high schools will be represented in this commencement ceremony for 12th-graders Districtwide who completed graduation requirements by attending summer school.
Aug. 24 (Fri) — Jefferson High School Ice Cream Social
5 p.m. at the Alamo Stadium and Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta Drive
This annual extravaganza of food, fun and entertainment provides students, staff and alumni an opportunity to celebrate the upcoming school year. Beverages and brisket plates will be sold starting at 5 p.m. in the Convocation Center where participants will be treated to a performance by the Lassos and the Lasso Alumni Association. Festivities move to Alamo Stadium at 7 p.m. for Pass and Review, a traditional parade featuring student spirit groups, followed by free ice cream for all at 7:30 p.m., courtesy of the Deco H-E-B. Special guests will include Jefferson alums Ed Garza, SAISD School Board president and KSAT-TV sportscaster Greg Simmons, who also will emcee Pass and Review.
* NOTE TO MEDIA – Please contact the SAISD Communications Department to coordinate coverage.
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 | 05:20 PM Free family fitness classes
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 28 20 | 05:30 PM Health and fitness fair
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 01 20 | 10:00 AM Mass casualty exercise
- May 02 20 | 10:00 AM Pathophysiology Case Prevention Grand Rounds
- May 02 20 | 01:00 PM Cinco de Mayo celebration
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony