Coming Attractions August 17, 2012
August 17, 2012
Aug. 20 (Mon) — SAISD Council of PTAs annual membership drive kickoff
4 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
In anticipation of the upcoming school year, student spirit groups from throughout the District will lead a pep rally encouraging parents, employees, and other community members to support the nation’s largest parent-teacher organization
Aug. 20 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
Aug. 21 (Tues) — Acclaimed author and educator to highlight Convocation 2012
8:45 to 11 a.m. at the Freeman Coliseum, 3201 E. Houston St.
“Championing Children of Promise” will be the theme when the more than 7,600-member SAISD family of employees gathers to welcome 2012-13. Keynote speaker for Convocation 2012 will be inspirational educator Erin Gruwell, whose New York Times bestselling book “The Freedom Writer’s Diary” was the basis for the movie “The Freedom Writers” starring Hilary Swank and Patrick Dempsey. Other special guests will include Henry Cisneros, former Housing and Urban Development Secretary and San Antonio mayor and Carri Baker Wells, chairman of the SAISD Foundation. Gruwell’s appearance and Convocation 2012 are being funded through the SAISD Foundation and H-E-B.
Aug. 23 (Thurs) — SAISD summer graduation ceremony
7 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
The colors of all SAISD high schools will be represented in this commencement ceremony for 12th-graders Districtwide who completed graduation requirements by attending summer school.
Aug. 24 (Fri) — Jefferson High School Ice Cream Social
5 p.m. at the Alamo Stadium and Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta Drive
This annual extravaganza of food, fun and entertainment provides students, staff and alumni an opportunity to celebrate the upcoming school year. Beverages and brisket plates will be sold starting at 5 p.m. in the Convocation Center where participants will be treated to a performance by the Lassos and the Lasso Alumni Association. Festivities move to Alamo Stadium at 7 p.m. for Pass and Review, a traditional parade featuring student spirit groups, followed by free ice cream for all at 7:30 p.m., courtesy of the Deco H-E-B. Special guests will include Jefferson alums Ed Garza, SAISD School Board president and KSAT-TV sportscaster Greg Simmons, who also will emcee Pass and Review.
* NOTE TO MEDIA – Please contact the SAISD Communications Department to coordinate coverage.
- March 04 20 - March 07 20 Head Start 2014 Application Event
- March 07 20 | 11:00 AM Pre-spring break food drive
- March 07 20 | 03:00 PM Community health fair
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- March 12 20 | 01:30 PM Campus makeover and cookout
- March 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- March 19 20 | 05:30 PM Open house for all-new Cameron
- March 20 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- March 20 20 | 06:30 PM Community health fair
- March 26 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- March 29 20 | 08:30 AM Run 4Education
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- August 13 20 - August 15 20 Staff Development
- August 18 20 - August 19 20 Teacher Workdays
- August 20 20 - August 22 20 Staff Development
- August 25 20 First Day of School