Coming Attractions August 24, 2012
Aug. 24, 2012
Aug. 25 (Sat) — Fourth-annual Historic Homeowner Fair
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Homeowners will have the opportunity to meet with preservation experts, knowledgeable tradesmen and city departments to learn about maintaining, caring for and restoring their historic houses. Among the featured topics will be mid-century modern architecture in San Antonio. Activities for school-age children will be hosted by Jefferson High School architecture students, and tours of the historic campus also will be offered.
Aug. 27 (Mon) — First day of school
Among the special activities to welcome students to the new school year will be:
- 7:15 to 8 a.m. at Bonham Academy, 925 S. St. Mary’s St. In keeping with an Olympic theme, the principal will present each student with a gold medal hung from a ribbon lanyard.
- 7:15 to 8 a.m. at Beacon Hill Elementary School, 1411 W. Ashby Place. Balloons, the principal and school buffalo mascot Pride will greet students and their parents near the curb as the children are dropped off for school.
- 7:30 to 8 a.m. at Franklin Elementary School, 1915 W. Olmos Drive. The principal and teachers will treat students to a “STAAR”-studded welcome by rolling out the red carpet to encourage them to shine academically on the state’s – accountability exam. As part of the red carpet theme, some teachers plan to come attired in evening wear, and the principal will take on the role of a Hollywood reporter by interviewing the “STAAR” students.
- 7:40 a.m. at Hawthorne Academy, 115 W. Josephine St. Interim Superintendent Dr. Sylvester Perez will arrive via school bus after boarding at the District’s bus depot in order to ride with students. Upon arrival, he will greet the principal and others.
Aug. 28-29 — School supplies donations
Volunteers from the San Antonio YES Foundation will help all kinder through 5th-– get off to a successful start for the new school year. Donations will be presented:
- Aug. 28 (Tues) - 8:45 a.m. at Ball Elementary School, 343 Koehler Court
- Aug. 28 (Tues) - 8:45 a.m. at Bowden Elementary School, 515 Willow St.
- Aug. 28 (Tues) - 8:45 a.m. at Hirsch Elementary School, 4826 Sea Breeze Drive
- Aug. 28 (Tues) - 10 a.m. at Foster Elementary School, 6718 Pecan Valley Drive
- Aug. 28 (Tues) - 10 a.m. at Japhet Elementary School, 314 Astor St.
- Aug. 28 (Tues) - 10 a.m. at Miller Elementary School, 207 Lincolnshire Drive
- Aug. 29 (Wed) - 8:45 a.m. at J.T. Brackenridge Elementary School, 1214 Guadalupe St.
- Aug. 29 (Wed) - 8:45 a.m. at Storm Elementary School, 435 Brady Blvd.
- Aug. 29 (Wed) - 10 a.m. at Brewer Elementary School, 906 Merida St.
Aug. 28 and 30 — Single-member Trustee redistricting public hearings
The public is invited to review provide input on two draft maps proposing boundary changes for either Trustee districts 3, 4 and 5 or 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. The proposals are designed to balance population changes in these districts as reflected by the 2010 U. S. Census. These - the first and second of three public hearings to be held on the proposed redistricting - will be:
- Aug. 28 (Tues) – 6 p.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. César Chávez Blvd
- Aug. 30 (Thurs) – 6 p.m. at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave.
--- SAISD ---
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- March 12 20 | 01:30 PM Campus makeover and cookout
- March 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- March 19 20 | 05:30 PM Open house for all-new Cameron
- March 20 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- March 20 20 | 06:30 PM Community health fair
- March 26 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- March 29 20 | 08:30 AM Run 4Education
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- August 13 20 - August 15 20 Staff Development
- August 18 20 - August 19 20 Teacher Workdays
- August 20 20 - August 22 20 Staff Development
- August 25 20 First Day of School
- September 01 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 20 20 - October 23 20 State Testing Dates
- October 24 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks