Coming Attractions August 24, 2012
Aug. 24, 2012
Aug. 25 (Sat) — Fourth-annual Historic Homeowner Fair
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Homeowners will have the opportunity to meet with preservation experts, knowledgeable tradesmen and city departments to learn about maintaining, caring for and restoring their historic houses. Among the featured topics will be mid-century modern architecture in San Antonio. Activities for school-age children will be hosted by Jefferson High School architecture students, and tours of the historic campus also will be offered.
Aug. 27 (Mon) — First day of school
Among the special activities to welcome students to the new school year will be:
- 7:15 to 8 a.m. at Bonham Academy, 925 S. St. Mary’s St. In keeping with an Olympic theme, the principal will present each student with a gold medal hung from a ribbon lanyard.
- 7:15 to 8 a.m. at Beacon Hill Elementary School, 1411 W. Ashby Place. Balloons, the principal and school buffalo mascot Pride will greet students and their parents near the curb as the children are dropped off for school.
- 7:30 to 8 a.m. at Franklin Elementary School, 1915 W. Olmos Drive. The principal and teachers will treat students to a “STAAR”-studded welcome by rolling out the red carpet to encourage them to shine academically on the state’s – accountability exam. As part of the red carpet theme, some teachers plan to come attired in evening wear, and the principal will take on the role of a Hollywood reporter by interviewing the “STAAR” students.
- 7:40 a.m. at Hawthorne Academy, 115 W. Josephine St. Interim Superintendent Dr. Sylvester Perez will arrive via school bus after boarding at the District’s bus depot in order to ride with students. Upon arrival, he will greet the principal and others.
Aug. 28-29 — School supplies donations
Volunteers from the San Antonio YES Foundation will help all kinder through 5th-– get off to a successful start for the new school year. Donations will be presented:
- Aug. 28 (Tues) - 8:45 a.m. at Ball Elementary School, 343 Koehler Court
- Aug. 28 (Tues) - 8:45 a.m. at Bowden Elementary School, 515 Willow St.
- Aug. 28 (Tues) - 8:45 a.m. at Hirsch Elementary School, 4826 Sea Breeze Drive
- Aug. 28 (Tues) - 10 a.m. at Foster Elementary School, 6718 Pecan Valley Drive
- Aug. 28 (Tues) - 10 a.m. at Japhet Elementary School, 314 Astor St.
- Aug. 28 (Tues) - 10 a.m. at Miller Elementary School, 207 Lincolnshire Drive
- Aug. 29 (Wed) - 8:45 a.m. at J.T. Brackenridge Elementary School, 1214 Guadalupe St.
- Aug. 29 (Wed) - 8:45 a.m. at Storm Elementary School, 435 Brady Blvd.
- Aug. 29 (Wed) - 10 a.m. at Brewer Elementary School, 906 Merida St.
Aug. 28 and 30 — Single-member Trustee redistricting public hearings
The public is invited to review provide input on two draft maps proposing boundary changes for either Trustee districts 3, 4 and 5 or 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. The proposals are designed to balance population changes in these districts as reflected by the 2010 U. S. Census. These - the first and second of three public hearings to be held on the proposed redistricting - will be:
- Aug. 28 (Tues) – 6 p.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. César Chávez Blvd
- Aug. 30 (Thurs) – 6 p.m. at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave.
--- SAISD ---
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Make-Up Day
- June 10 20 | 05:00 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 | 08:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 14 20 | 03:30 PM GED Graduation
- June 14 20 | 08:00 PM Travis Early College High School Graduation
- June 15 20 | 05:00 PM Cooper Academy Graduation
- June 15 20 | 07:30 PM Navarro High School Graduation
- June 16 20 | 02:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony
- July 30 20 - July 31 20 | 08:00 AM Pre-K Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 06 20 - August 09 20 Registration schedule for 2013-14