Coming Attractions Sept 7, 2012
Sept. 7, 2012
Sept. 8 (Sat) — Annual SAISD Fall Bilingual Symposium
8 a.m. to 12:35 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
Starting at 7 a.m. early arrivers may network over light refreshments in the cafeteria. Keynote speaker will be Dr. Deborah J. Short, senior research associate at the Center for Applied Linguistics, who will talk on "Best Teaching Practices to Promote Academic Language Success in School." Following her speech will be an opportunity for participants - SAISD Bilingual/English as a Second Language educators - to visit vendor booths and attend a variety of sessions.
Sept. 10 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
Sept. 11-13 — SAISD superintendent search community input sessions
Times and locations listed below
District patrons and community members are invited to share their views on the qualities and characteristics they would like SAISD’s next leader to have and to learn more about the search process. An online survey is available at www.saisd.net and the final of seven in a series of community input sessions will be:
● Sept. 11 (Tues) – 6 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
● Sept. 11 (Tues) – 6 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
● Sept. 12 (Wed) – 6 p.m. at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive
● Sept. 12 (Wed) – 7 p.m. at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave. (Follows a 6 p.m. meeting on bond-funded renovation design plans for Highlands. Details below.)
● Sept. 13 (Thurs) – 6 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive
Sept. 12 (Wed) — 2010 SAISD Bond renovation community meeting
6 p.m. at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave.
The public is invited to learn about proposed renovations according to the next design phase for SAISD Bond 2010. Members of the design team also will present images showing the planned layout and design of the new buildings. Following this meeting will be a superintendent search community input session.
Sept. 14 (Fri) — SAISD Bond 2010 kicks off construction phase
10:30 a.m. at the Cameron Elementary School site, 3635 Belgium Lane
Hosting this ceremony celebrating a major milestone for SAISD Bond 2010 will be this East Side campus, the first of 22 schools to enter the construction phase for major renovations. Demolition there already is under way in preparation of a new two-story addition which will increase the school’s square footage by more than 60 percent. Cameron – as well as the others – will be transformed into modernized schools through the $515 million bond program approved by voters in November 2010.
--- SAISD ---
- KABB: Gardening project in partnership with UIW at Carroll ECEC
- Rivard Report: Inner City School Success: San Antonio’s Best-Kept Secret
- MySA: SAISD students sing for bus drivers
- WOAI: SAISD newly-appointed superintendent, "this is very heartfelt"
- KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
- KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
- Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history