Coming Attractions Sept 7, 2012
Sept. 7, 2012
Sept. 8 (Sat) — Annual SAISD Fall Bilingual Symposium
8 a.m. to 12:35 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
Starting at 7 a.m. early arrivers may network over light refreshments in the cafeteria. Keynote speaker will be Dr. Deborah J. Short, senior research associate at the Center for Applied Linguistics, who will talk on "Best Teaching Practices to Promote Academic Language Success in School." Following her speech will be an opportunity for participants - SAISD Bilingual/English as a Second Language educators - to visit vendor booths and attend a variety of sessions.
Sept. 10 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
Sept. 11-13 — SAISD superintendent search community input sessions
Times and locations listed below
District patrons and community members are invited to share their views on the qualities and characteristics they would like SAISD’s next leader to have and to learn more about the search process. An online survey is available at www.saisd.net and the final of seven in a series of community input sessions will be:
● Sept. 11 (Tues) – 6 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
● Sept. 11 (Tues) – 6 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
● Sept. 12 (Wed) – 6 p.m. at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive
● Sept. 12 (Wed) – 7 p.m. at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave. (Follows a 6 p.m. meeting on bond-funded renovation design plans for Highlands. Details below.)
● Sept. 13 (Thurs) – 6 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive
Sept. 12 (Wed) — 2010 SAISD Bond renovation community meeting
6 p.m. at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave.
The public is invited to learn about proposed renovations according to the next design phase for SAISD Bond 2010. Members of the design team also will present images showing the planned layout and design of the new buildings. Following this meeting will be a superintendent search community input session.
Sept. 14 (Fri) — SAISD Bond 2010 kicks off construction phase
10:30 a.m. at the Cameron Elementary School site, 3635 Belgium Lane
Hosting this ceremony celebrating a major milestone for SAISD Bond 2010 will be this East Side campus, the first of 22 schools to enter the construction phase for major renovations. Demolition there already is under way in preparation of a new two-story addition which will increase the school’s square footage by more than 60 percent. Cameron – as well as the others – will be transformed into modernized schools through the $515 million bond program approved by voters in November 2010.
--- SAISD ---
- April 14 20 - April 17 20 | 05:20 PM Free family fitness classes
- April 17 20 | 02:00 PM Annual Fiesta Shoebox Float Parade
- April 17 20 | 06:15 PM Second Annual Pitch for the Cure
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony