Coming Attractions Sept 7, 2012
Sept. 7, 2012
Sept. 8 (Sat) — Annual SAISD Fall Bilingual Symposium
8 a.m. to 12:35 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
Starting at 7 a.m. early arrivers may network over light refreshments in the cafeteria. Keynote speaker will be Dr. Deborah J. Short, senior research associate at the Center for Applied Linguistics, who will talk on "Best Teaching Practices to Promote Academic Language Success in School." Following her speech will be an opportunity for participants - SAISD Bilingual/English as a Second Language educators - to visit vendor booths and attend a variety of sessions.
Sept. 10 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
Sept. 11-13 — SAISD superintendent search community input sessions
Times and locations listed below
District patrons and community members are invited to share their views on the qualities and characteristics they would like SAISD’s next leader to have and to learn more about the search process. An online survey is available at www.saisd.net and the final of seven in a series of community input sessions will be:
● Sept. 11 (Tues) – 6 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
● Sept. 11 (Tues) – 6 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
● Sept. 12 (Wed) – 6 p.m. at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive
● Sept. 12 (Wed) – 7 p.m. at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave. (Follows a 6 p.m. meeting on bond-funded renovation design plans for Highlands. Details below.)
● Sept. 13 (Thurs) – 6 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive
Sept. 12 (Wed) — 2010 SAISD Bond renovation community meeting
6 p.m. at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave.
The public is invited to learn about proposed renovations according to the next design phase for SAISD Bond 2010. Members of the design team also will present images showing the planned layout and design of the new buildings. Following this meeting will be a superintendent search community input session.
Sept. 14 (Fri) — SAISD Bond 2010 kicks off construction phase
10:30 a.m. at the Cameron Elementary School site, 3635 Belgium Lane
Hosting this ceremony celebrating a major milestone for SAISD Bond 2010 will be this East Side campus, the first of 22 schools to enter the construction phase for major renovations. Demolition there already is under way in preparation of a new two-story addition which will increase the school’s square footage by more than 60 percent. Cameron – as well as the others – will be transformed into modernized schools through the $515 million bond program approved by voters in November 2010.
--- SAISD ---
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 09:00 AM Mayoral visit
- May 28 20 - May 31 20 | 09:00 AM SAISD Elementary School Choral Festival
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM SAISD Council of PTAs general meeting
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Ceremony
- May 29 20 | 07:00 PM Pin and Stole Ceremony
- May 30 20 | 07:45 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- May 30 20 | 06:00 PM Middle School Partners end-of-year celebration
- May 31 20 | 09:00 AM Gamma Sigma Girls to help Habitat for Humanity
- June 01 20 | 08:30 AM Second Annual Fun Run
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Make-Up Day
- June 10 20 | 05:00 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony