Coming Attractions Sept 28, 2012
Sept. 28, 2012
Oct. 1-4 — Free family fitness
Starting at 5 p.m. at the SAISD schools listed below.
The popular Zumba dance fitness program is being offered to the community weekly through December at eight District campuses. The free classes are in partnership with Health Collaborative, a local network of citizens, community organizations and businesses. Upcoming sessions will be:
● Oct. 1 (Mon) – at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
● Oct. 1 (Mon) – at Lanier High School, 1514 W. César Chávez Blvd.
● Oct. 2 (Tues) – at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive
● Oct. 2 (Tues) – at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
● Oct. 2 (Tues) – at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave.
● Oct. 3 (Wed) – at Sam Houston High School, 4635 E. Houston St.
● Oct. 3 (Wed) – at Rogers Elementary School (for the Edison High School community), 620 McIlvaine St.
● Oct. 4 (Thurs) – at Fox Tech High School, 637 N. Main Ave.
Oct. 3 (Wed) — Magnet School Fair
5 to 7:30 p.m. at the Alamo Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta Drive
Fifth- and 8th-graders from throughout Bexar County are invited to learn about educational options offered through Magnet programs hosted by eight SAISD high schools and three middle schools.
Oct. 4 (Thurs) — Read for the Record
Times below. Maverick Elementary School, 107 Raleigh St.
Pre-kinder through 1st-graders at Maverick will be among students from throughout SAISD and nationwide participating in this annual shared reading event. The 2012 selection is “Ladybug Girl and the Bug Squad” by David Soman and Jacky Davis. The book describes how Lulu, otherwise known as Ladybug Girl, learns about friendship, feelings and courage through her imaginary fun with friends Bumblebee Boy, Dragonfly Girl and Butterfly Girl. Read for the Record is sponsored by Jumpstart for Young Children in partnership with the Pearson Foundation. Maverick’s theme will be “Catch the Reading Bug.” Invited readers will include elected officials and representatives from the H-E-B headquarters who will donate five books to 1st-grade classrooms. Scheduled presentations and readings will be:- 8:35 to 10:15 a.m. – Lucas Miller, aka, “the Singing Zoologist”
- 1 p.m. – District 7 Councilman Cris Media
- 1 to 1:30 p.m. – Lucas Miller, aka, “the Singing Zoologist”
- 1:30 p.m. – SAISD School Board President Ed Garza
- 2 to 2:45 p.m. – Lucas Miller, aka, “the Singing Zoologist”
Oct. 4 (Thurs) — College Fair
4:30 to 6 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive
Teens, area elementary and middle school students and their parents are invited to meet with representatives from a variety of the state’s colleges to learn about planning for higher education. The fair is sponsored by Edison’s college-prep program AVID, Advancement Via Individual Determination.
Oct. 5 (Fri) — AVID District Director’s Conference luncheon
Noon at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive
Hosting this gathering of Advancement Via Individual Determination directors and coordinators from throughout Texas is Edison’s AVID program. The event also is part of the school’s application as a national AVID demonstration site. If selected, Edison would join SAISD’s Jefferson High School and Longfellow Middle School in this exclusive status of campuses regarded as highly successful in the college-prep program’s implementation.
--- SAISD ---
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- December 11 20 | 04:45 PM Eagle band to serenade King William Historic Distr...
- December 12 20 | 09:00 AM Mock arrest warrant issued for Santa Claus
- December 12 20 | 06:00 PM Taste of the Season
- December 13 20 | 01:00 PM Toy giveaway
- December 14 20 | 09:00 AM Twentieth-annual mock trial of Santa Claus
- December 23 20 - January 03 20 Holiday - Winter Break
- January 20 20 Holiday - MLK Jr. Day
- February 17 20 Holiday / Bad Weather Day
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School