Coming Attractions Nov 16, 2012
Nov. 16, 2012
Nov. 19-23 — Thanksgiving holiday
All schools and most offices will be closed this week and re-open Monday, Nov. 26.
Nov. 26 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St
Nov. 26-29 — Free family fitness
Starting at 5 p.m. at the SAISD schools listed below.
The popular Zumba dance fitness program is being offered to the community weekly through December at eight District campuses. The free classes are in partnership with Health Collaborative, a local network of citizens, community organizations and businesses. Upcoming sessions will be:
● Nov. 26 (Mon) – at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
● Nov. 26 (Mon) – at Lanier High School, 1514 W. César Chávez Blvd.
● Nov. 27 (Tues) – at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive
● Nov. 27 (Tues) – at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
● Nov. 27 (Tues) – at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave.
● Nov. 28 (Wed) – at Sam Houston High School, 4635 E. Houston St.
● Nov. 28 (Wed) – at Rogers Elementary School (for the Edison High School community), 620 McIlvaine St.
● Nov. 29 (Thurs) – at Fox Tech High School, 637 N. Main Ave.
Nov. 27 (Tues) — The NED Show
2 p.m. at Ball Elementary School, 343 Koehler Court
Students at this Southeast Side campus will be treated to a production by All for KIDZ promoting positive attitudes, better behavior and academic achievement in school. The NED acronym stands for Never give up, Encourage others and Do your best.
Nov. 27 (Tues) 2010 SAISD Bond renovation and design community meetings
6 p.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. César E. Chávez Blvd
The public is invited to learn about proposed renovations according to the next design phase for SAISD Bond 2010. Members of the design team also will present images showing the planned layout and design of the new buildings.
Nov. 29 (Thurs) — Model AVID program to host visiting educators
10 am. To 2 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Representatives from the Leander ISD interested in implementing Advancement Via Individual Determination will tour this SAISD campus to learn more about the college-readiness program They are the latest educators to visit Jefferson, named last spring as among a select few schools nationwide as AVID demonstration sites which serve as models for others to emulate. The designation recognizes the most successful schools in implementing the program. SAISD’s Longfellow MS also is a national AVID demonstration site.
To transform SAISD into a national model urban school district where every child graduates and is educated so that he or she is prepared to be a contributing member of the community.
Our primary purpose of improving lives through a quality education is driven by an unrelenting determination to graduate all of our students and prepare them for success in higher education. Our ideology is reflected in our fundamental beliefs, commitments and core values that guide us in our daily practices.
- Student Centered
- High Expectations
- Every student can learn and achieve at high levels.
- We are responsible for the education and safety of every student.
- We are responsible for the efficient and effective operation of the school system.
- Everyone should be treated with respect.
- People support what they help create.