SAISD Safety & Security Briefing held with Board of TrusteesSAISD Safety & Security Briefing held with Board of Trustees
SAISD's ongoing efforts to help ensure a safe environment for students and staff were presented to Trustees and community members at the Jan. 14 School Board meeting.
Police Chief Jeff Ward provided the briefing following nationwide heightened interest in school safety. Ward's presentation provided an overview of safety and security measures which include:
Mandatory Emergency Preparedness training for every campus every year,
Safety drills for students, and
- A well-trained District police department that reviews emergency plans and provides support for the schools.
- Each SAISD traditional high school campus has two campus-based police officers and each middle school has one campus-based police officer, while the elementaries are supported by a patrol team
- Three patrol shifts provide police services 24 hrs/day
- Most campus officers are bike certified adding outside presence and visibility at schools
- The District's Police Department also works in close coordination with other local law enforcement agencies to enhance safety and security.
Additionally, campus safety and security upgrades are underway through Bond 2010 funding, which include:
- Keycard access control that requires all visitors to be buzzed into the building during the school day
Classroom door locks
Additional security cameras
In a recent letter to all employees, Interim Superintendent Dr. Sylvester Perez stated: “I think the answer to creating the safest setting possible lies in a strong culture of awareness, with diligence on the part of school principals and their faculty and staff to follow security procedures that are in place and to foster a school environment where students feel they can openly report suspicious activity.”
To transform SAISD into a national model urban school district where every child graduates and is educated so that he or she is prepared to be a contributing member of the community.
Our primary purpose of improving lives through a quality education is driven by an unrelenting determination to graduate all of our students and prepare them for success in higher education. Our ideology is reflected in our fundamental beliefs, commitments and core values that guide us in our daily practices.
- Student Centered
- High Expectations
- Every student can learn and achieve at high levels.
- We are responsible for the education and safety of every student.
- We are responsible for the efficient and effective operation of the school system.
- Everyone should be treated with respect.
- People support what they help create.