Coming Attractions Feb. 22
Feb. 22, 2013
Feb. 24 (Sun.) — “Mariachi High” screening during Cine Festival, SAISD group to perform
2 p.m. during Cine Festival at The Guadalupe Theatre, 1301 Guadalupe St.
SAISD students and employees will be able to enjoy a free screening of this documentary. Students in the DeZavala ES mariachi group, SAISD’s youngest group, will perform just prior to the showing at 1:45 p.m. as guests arrive.
Feb. 25 (Mon) — ‘Batter Up to Dress ‘Em up’ Uniform Drive/Softball Tournament
8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. at the Rusty Lyons Softball Field, 6300 McCullough Ave.
The community can contribute to a worthy cause while enjoying games of softball played by six District schools. Spectators are asked to bring new or gently-used uniforms to this drive and tournament sponsored by SAISD.
**Uniform Drive: Donation drop off @ Each Campus February 25th–March 8th
Softball Tournament: Saturday, March 16th @ 8:00 am- 4:00 pm
Feb. 25 (Mon) – San Antonio Youth Literacy Book Giveaway
2 p.m. at W.W. White Elementary, 545 S. W.W. White Rd
A book give-away and story time for the 2nd grade students will be held at W.W. White ES, in celebration of the success of the partnership of the SAYL Reading Buddy Program and Reading Buddies from First Presbyterian Church.
Feb. 25-Mar. 1 – Head Start 2013 Application Event
3 to 7 p.m. at the SAISD schools listed below.
• Feb. 25 and 26 – at Knox ECEC, 302 Tipton St
• Feb. 27-Mar. 1 –at Carvajal ECEC, 225 Arizona St
Feb. 25-28 — Free family fitness classes
5 to 6 p.m. at the SAISD schools listed below.
The popular Zumba dance fitness program is being offered to the community weekly at eight District campuses. The free classes are in partnership with Health Collaborative, a local network of citizens, community organizations and businesses. Upcoming sessions will be:
● Feb. 25 (Mon) – at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
● Feb. 25 (Mon) – at Lanier High School, 1514 W. César Chávez Blvd.
● Feb. 26 (Tues) – at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive
● Feb. 26 (Tues) – at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
● Feb. 26 (Tues) – at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave.
● Feb. 27 (Wed) – at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
● Feb 27 (Wed) – at Davis Middle School (for the Sam Houston High School community), 4702 E. Houston St.
● Feb. 27 (Wed) – at Rogers Elementary School (for the Edison High School community), 620 McIlvaine St.
● Feb. 28 (Thurs) – at Fox Tech High School, 637 N. Main Ave.
● Feb. 28 (Thurs) – at Rogers Elementary School (for the Edison High School community), 620 McIlvaine St.
Feb. 27 (Wed.) — Launch of series spotlighting SAISD schools and innovative programs
8:15 a.m. at Fox Tech High School, 637 N. Main Ave.
SAISD, in partnership with the SAISD Foundation, will launch a new breakfast series highlighting the District’s innovative programs. This spring, the series will focus on SAISD’s college preparatory programs and specialized schools, and community leaders and parents are encouraged to attend the events that will be held at four schools. Fox Tech High School, located in the heart of downtown, will kick off the series by showcasing its Health and Law Professions magnets.
Feb. 28 (Thurs) – “Walk with the principal”
7 to 9 p.m. at the Edison High School track, 701 Santa Monica Dr
Come join Principal Charles Munoz and Edison junior Brianna Reynosa – the Mayor’s Fitness Council Student Ambassador – in an initiative to improve the health of the Edison community and San Antonio. Booths will be provided for blood pressure and heart rate readings. Learn more about fitness, heart health, diabetes, cholesterol, safety and more.
Ongoing thru March 1 — School Board election informational packets available
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays at the Department of Governmental & Community Relations, 518 E. Magnolia Ave.
Qualified citizens interested in serving as an SAISD Trustee for places 1, 3, 4 and 7 may obtain informational packets including: qualifications for office; application for a place on the SAISD general election ballot; campaign finance guide; appointment of a campaign treasurer by a candidate; code of fair campaign practices; candidate/officeholder campaign finance report form; important May 2013 election dates; and 2013 filing schedule for reports. Deadline to file as a candidate is March 1, and Election Day is May 11. For more information visit www.saisd.net.
March 1 (Fri.) – Night in Ole Jeff
6-10 p.m., Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
The Jefferson High School community, alumni and the public in general are invited to the school’s annual fundraiser, which will benefit the school’s clubs and organizations. A variety of food booths will be set up and a host of fun activities planned.
--- SAISD ---
To transform SAISD into a national model urban school district where every child graduates and is educated so that he or she is prepared to be a contributing member of the community.
Our primary purpose of improving lives through a quality education is driven by an unrelenting determination to graduate all of our students and prepare them for success in higher education. Our ideology is reflected in our fundamental beliefs, commitments and core values that guide us in our daily practices.
- Student Centered
- High Expectations
- Every student can learn and achieve at high levels.
- We are responsible for the education and safety of every student.
- We are responsible for the efficient and effective operation of the school system.
- Everyone should be treated with respect.
- People support what they help create.