Haven for Hope and De Zavala Elementary School
Who: Haven for Hope and De Zavala Elementary School
What: Books galore! Massive book giveaway
When: March 25 (Mon) – 12:40 to 3 p.m.
Where: De Zavala ES (gymnasium), 2311 San Luis St.
It will be a book bonanza at this West Side school as representatives from nearby Haven for Hope have provided some 2,000 volumes for the school, enough for each child to take home and with plenty to spare for all to enjoy in the campus library. The first of more than 600 students and their parents will be the happy recipients of books for the debut distribution on Monday.
Monday’s schedule is:
● 12:40 to 1:15 p.m. – 2nd grade, 90 students
● 1:30 to 2:15 p.m. – 4th grade, 100 students
● 2:40 to 3 p.m. – 5th grade, 75 students
Parents and children can select books from one of three tables arranged according to age and grade level. Volumes are all hardcover, and include illustrated and story books written by well-known children’s educational authors.
Haven for Hope acquired the books through donations. Children from the remaining grade levels and their parents will select theirs during a distribution to be held later this spring.
Note to media: Interviews with participants will be available.
--- SAISD ----
To transform SAISD into a national model urban school district where every child graduates and is educated so that he or she is prepared to be a contributing member of the community.
Our primary purpose of improving lives through a quality education is driven by an unrelenting determination to graduate all of our students and prepare them for success in higher education. Our ideology is reflected in our fundamental beliefs, commitments and core values that guide us in our daily practices.
- Student Centered
- High Expectations
- Every student can learn and achieve at high levels.
- We are responsible for the education and safety of every student.
- We are responsible for the efficient and effective operation of the school system.
- Everyone should be treated with respect.
- People support what they help create.