Coming Attractions June 12, 2009
SAISD Web News
June 15-26 — SAISD summer hours
7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays thru Thursdays
Most District departments and summer school programs will operate on a four-day work week until the Fourth of July holiday break. Afterward, this schedule will resume through the end of July.
June 16 (Tues) — Teacher job fair for elementary candidates
June 17 (Wed) — Teacher job fair for secondary candidates
9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. at the Blossom Athletic Center, 12002 Jones-Maltsberger
SAISD and other area school districts are joining with the Education Service Center Region 20 as sponsors. Candidates will meet with recruiters during the morning session while interviews will be held in the afternoon. For more information call 554-8400.
June 18 (Thurs) — Aaron Ross Cheer Camp
8 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Alamo Stadium, 110 Tuleta at Stadium Drive
In the first of four community fundraisers sponsored this week by the New York Giant cornerback (who also played for the Fox Tech Buffalos), girls ages 5 to 18 will learn a variety of cheerleading routines. Special guest will be 2004 and 2008 summer Olympic gold medalist in relay Sanya Richards. The cost is $75 per participant. The girls will show off what they learned by performing at the Aaron Ross Football Camp and Community Fair.
June 19 (Fri) — Aaron Ross Football Camp and Community Fair
8 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the SAISD Sports Complex, 1002 Edwards St.
The San Antonio-native and other professional gridiron players will offer game tips to youngsters ages 5 to 18 and lead them in football drills. Cost is $75 per participant, while admission to the community fair (to start at 10 a.m.) is free. The day’s festivities will conclude with performances by the Aaron Ross Cheer Camp participants. The events are part of a series of local appearances and fundraisers Ross is sponsoring this week to benefit charities serving San Antonio’s youth.
June 29 thru July 3 — Fourth of July holiday break
Most District departments and all schools hosting summer programs will be closed.
Summer programs for students *
These are just a sample of learning opportunities, and may be subject to change. Parents are asked to contact their child’s school for more information.
Ongoing thru July 13 — Driver education first session
7:30 to 9:30 a.m. at Fox Tech High School, 637 N. Main Ave.
This course meets all state minimum requirements for young drivers of 32-classroom hours and includes seven hours in-car instruction, and seven hours observation.
Ongoing thru July 13 — ‘Seamless Summer Nutrition Program’
7:30 to 8:30 a.m. and 10:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (times vary by site) at 31 campuses *
Free breakfast and lunch are served to anyone 18 years old and younger. The federally-funded nutrition program is available to districts like SAISD in which large numbers of students receive free meals during the school year. * (Due to the District’s four-day summer work schedule not all sites will be open on Fridays. For a complete list of participating campuses and days of operation visit www.saisd.net.)
Ongoing thru July 16 (except Fridays) — High School Acceleration and Pre-AP
8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Fox Tech High School, 637 N. Main Ave.
Select academic subjects are offered at an accelerated pace to teens wanting a head start on the upcoming school year.
June 15-25 (except Fridays) — GEAR UP Summer Enrichment Camp
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at two SAISD high schools
Ninth-graders will explore the wonderful worlds of fresh and oceanic water through the study of aquatic science. The camp is part of GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs), designed to help the class of 2012 be prepared for success in college and beyond.
June 16 thru Aug. 8 — San Antonio Summer Youth Program
7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. weekdays at 16 SAISD schools
Sponsored by SAISD and the San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department to provide supervised recreational opportunities.
* NOTE TO MEDIA – Please contact the SAISD Communications Department to coordinate coverage.
- March 04 20 - March 07 20 Head Start 2014 Application Event
- March 07 20 | 11:00 AM Pre-spring break food drive
- March 07 20 | 03:00 PM Community health fair
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- March 12 20 | 01:30 PM Campus makeover and cookout
- March 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- March 19 20 | 05:30 PM Open house for all-new Cameron
- March 20 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- March 20 20 | 06:30 PM Community health fair
- March 26 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- March 29 20 | 08:30 AM Run 4Education
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- August 13 20 - August 15 20 Staff Development
- August 18 20 - August 19 20 Teacher Workdays
- August 20 20 - August 22 20 Staff Development
- August 25 20 First Day of School