Coming Attractions - June 28, 2013
June 28, 2013
July 1-5 — Fourth of July holiday
SAISD will be closed this week and reopen Monday, July 8.
July 8 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at the Central Office Board Room, 141 Lavaca St.
July 10 (Wed) — Job Fair
8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Tafolla Middle School, 1303 W. César E. Chávez Blvd.
Applications will be accepted for bus driver, bus driver assistants, food services substitutes, journeyman mechanics, journeymen HVAC, painters, special education instructional assistants, LVNs, pre-kinder instructional assistants and mariachi assistants. The application process begins online at www.saisd.net.
July 10 (Wed) — Fifth-Annual Lasso Alumni Social and Fundraiser
5 to 7 p.m. at Chris Madrid's Tacos and Burgers, 1900 Blanco Road
Proceeds will benefit the Jefferson High School Lasso Alumni Association, which supports San Antonio’s most famous rope twirlers. This year’s theme is celebrating the rich tradition of Mustang football and gridiron greats past and present will be recognized. Honored alumni will include KSAT-TV sports anchor Greg Simmons, who will serve as emcee and Express-News reporter Stephanie Arias. Entertainment will include a rope demonstration led by Lasso Alumni Association members.
July 12 (Fri) — School Book Mobile
9 to 11:30 a.m. Specific times and locations listed below
Herff Elementary students need to leave their Alamodome-area neighborhood to embark on exciting adventures this summer. They can find them in the pages of books being handed out via a book mobile running twice monthly through July. Upcoming stops will be:
● 9 a.m. – Iowa and Dreiss streets
● 9:30 a.m. – Piedmont Avenue and Indiana Street
● 10 a.m. – Palmetto Street and Aransas Avenue
● 10:30 a.m.–Palmetto Street and Denver Boulevard
● 11 a.m. – St. Michael’s Catholic Church, Delaware and Mesquite streets
● 11:30 a.m.– Herff Elementary School, 996 S. Hackberry St
Summer programs for students *
These are just a sample, and may be subject to change. Parents are asked to contact their child’s school for more information.
July 8-13 — Jump Start Your Summer AND GEAR UP for High School
Times and locations listed below.
Incoming freshmen are participating in a variety of projects this summer as part of their participation in Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs, designed to help the class of 2017 prepare for success in higher education and beyond. Local events will be:
● July 8-11, 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Visit to Café College, 131 El Paso St. Students will receive tools to become college experts and leaders at their campus charged with spreading the word about the importance of pursuing college and career goals along with the steps along the journey. This week’s activities will conclude on July 12 with a trip to Texas A&M University College Station.
● July 13 (Sat.), 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Roller Coaster Builder, Good Samaritan Community Center, 1600 Saltillo St. The STEM fields of science, technology, engineering and math will come to life for about 40 students through the building of a miniature roller coaster. They will learn the physics behind the steep inclines and death-defying loops while understanding the mechanics of how roller coasters work. This program is in partnership with the University of Texas at San Antonio and the UTSA Interactive Technology Experience Center and will be the first of three offered in July.
July 8 thru Aug. 9 — Summer recreation
7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. weekdays at 13 SAISD schools
Supervised recreational opportunities will be offered in partnership with the San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department’s Summer Youth Program.
July 8 thru Aug 9 — SA Youth Programs
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at centers throughout San Antonio
Students from nine SAISD elementaries and three middle schools are eligible for free learning opportunities and activities including technology, physical education, music, culture, arts and other fun activities through SA Youth.
July 8 thru Aug 9 — SA Youth Programs
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Lanier High School, 1514 W. César Chávez Blvd., and Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Supervised recreational opportunities for teens enrolled at these two high schools will be offered in partnership with SAYouth.
July 8 thru Aug. 9 — Seamless Summer Nutrition Program
7 to 8:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. (times vary by school) at 40 SAISD campuses (those hosting summer school programs).
Free breakfast and lunch are served to anyone 18 years old and younger. The federally funded nutrition program is available to districts like SAISD in which large numbers of students receive free meals during the school year. Locations and dates can be found at: www.saisd.net/ADMIN/food.