Coming Attractions June 25, 2009
SAISD Web News
June 25, 2009
June 29 thru July 3 — Fourth of July holiday break
Most District departments and schools hosting summer programs will be closed.
July 6-13 — Head Start program registration
8 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 4:30 p.m. (except Friday)
and 1 to 6 p.m. (Wednesday only)
At the SAISD Johnson Center, 1811 S. Laredo St.
Parents of children eligible for this federal early childhood education program may enroll them this week. In order to qualify, a child must be 3 or 4 years old by Sept. 1 and meet other requirements. For information parents are asked to call 222-8591.
July 14-15 — Districtwide Head Start and pre-kinder roundup
8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Alamodome, 100 Montana St
Registration will be held for children eligible for the federally-funded Head Start and for SAISD’s pre-kinder program. In order to qualify, a child must be 3 or 4 years old by Sept. 1 and meet other requirements. For Head Start information parents are asked to call 222-8591 and 354-0920 for pre-kinder.
July 15 (Wed) — Lasso Alumni fundraiser
5 to 7p.m. at Chris Madrid’s restaurant, 1900 Blanco Road
All Jefferson High School supporters are invited to join alumni of San Antonio's most famous rope-twirlers in this worthy cause. Donations will go toward purchasing the pep squad and service organization’s signature red and blue cowgirl outfits and boots. Rope lassos will be provided as door prizes, and Mustangs may bring their memorabilia for display. The event is among the fundraisers hosted by the Lasso Alumni Association, formed to help keep the school’s proud tradition alive. For more information visit www.lassos.org.
Summer programs for students *
These are just a sample of learning opportunities, and may be subject to change. Parents are asked to contact their child’s school for more information, including which sessions will continue through the Fourth of July break.
Ongoing thru July 13 — Driver education first session
7:30 to 9:30 a.m. at Fox Tech High School, 637 N. Main Ave.
This course meets all state minimum requirements for young drivers of 32-classroom hours and includes seven hours in-car instruction, and seven hours observation.
Ongoing thru July 13 — ‘Seamless Summer Nutrition Program’
7:30 to 8:30 a.m. and 10:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (times vary by site) at 31 campuses *
Free breakfast and lunch are served to anyone 18 years old and younger. The federally-funded nutrition program is available to districts like SAISD in which large numbers of students receive free meals during the school year. * (Due to the District’s four-day summer work schedule not all sites will be open on Fridays. For a complete list of participating campuses and days of operation visit www.saisd.net.)
Ongoing thru July 16 (except Fridays) — High School Acceleration and Pre-AP
8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Fox Tech High School, 637 N. Main Ave.
Select academic subjects are offered at an accelerated pace to teens wanting a head start on the upcoming school year.
Ongoing thru Aug. 8 — San Antonio Summer Youth Program
7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. weekdays at 16 SAISD schools
Sponsored by SAISD and the San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department to provide supervised recreational opportunities.
* NOTE TO MEDIA – Please contact the SAISD Communications Department to coordinate coverage.
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Make-Up Day
- June 10 20 | 05:00 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 | 08:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 14 20 | 03:30 PM GED Graduation
- June 14 20 | 08:00 PM Travis Early College High School Graduation
- June 15 20 | 05:00 PM Cooper Academy Graduation
- June 15 20 | 07:30 PM Navarro High School Graduation
- June 16 20 | 02:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony
- July 30 20 - July 31 20 | 08:00 AM Pre-K Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 06 20 - August 09 20 Registration schedule for 2013-14