Coming Attractions June 25, 2009
SAISD Web News
June 25, 2009
June 29 thru July 3 — Fourth of July holiday break
Most District departments and schools hosting summer programs will be closed.
July 6-13 — Head Start program registration
8 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 4:30 p.m. (except Friday)
and 1 to 6 p.m. (Wednesday only)
At the SAISD Johnson Center, 1811 S. Laredo St.
Parents of children eligible for this federal early childhood education program may enroll them this week. In order to qualify, a child must be 3 or 4 years old by Sept. 1 and meet other requirements. For information parents are asked to call 222-8591.
July 14-15 — Districtwide Head Start and pre-kinder roundup
8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Alamodome, 100 Montana St
Registration will be held for children eligible for the federally-funded Head Start and for SAISD’s pre-kinder program. In order to qualify, a child must be 3 or 4 years old by Sept. 1 and meet other requirements. For Head Start information parents are asked to call 222-8591 and 354-0920 for pre-kinder.
July 15 (Wed) — Lasso Alumni fundraiser
5 to 7p.m. at Chris Madrid’s restaurant, 1900 Blanco Road
All Jefferson High School supporters are invited to join alumni of San Antonio's most famous rope-twirlers in this worthy cause. Donations will go toward purchasing the pep squad and service organization’s signature red and blue cowgirl outfits and boots. Rope lassos will be provided as door prizes, and Mustangs may bring their memorabilia for display. The event is among the fundraisers hosted by the Lasso Alumni Association, formed to help keep the school’s proud tradition alive. For more information visit www.lassos.org.
Summer programs for students *
These are just a sample of learning opportunities, and may be subject to change. Parents are asked to contact their child’s school for more information, including which sessions will continue through the Fourth of July break.
Ongoing thru July 13 — Driver education first session
7:30 to 9:30 a.m. at Fox Tech High School, 637 N. Main Ave.
This course meets all state minimum requirements for young drivers of 32-classroom hours and includes seven hours in-car instruction, and seven hours observation.
Ongoing thru July 13 — ‘Seamless Summer Nutrition Program’
7:30 to 8:30 a.m. and 10:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (times vary by site) at 31 campuses *
Free breakfast and lunch are served to anyone 18 years old and younger. The federally-funded nutrition program is available to districts like SAISD in which large numbers of students receive free meals during the school year. * (Due to the District’s four-day summer work schedule not all sites will be open on Fridays. For a complete list of participating campuses and days of operation visit www.saisd.net.)
Ongoing thru July 16 (except Fridays) — High School Acceleration and Pre-AP
8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Fox Tech High School, 637 N. Main Ave.
Select academic subjects are offered at an accelerated pace to teens wanting a head start on the upcoming school year.
Ongoing thru Aug. 8 — San Antonio Summer Youth Program
7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. weekdays at 16 SAISD schools
Sponsored by SAISD and the San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department to provide supervised recreational opportunities.
* NOTE TO MEDIA – Please contact the SAISD Communications Department to coordinate coverage.
- March 04 20 - March 07 20 Head Start 2014 Application Event
- March 07 20 | 11:00 AM Pre-spring break food drive
- March 07 20 | 03:00 PM Community health fair
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- March 12 20 | 01:30 PM Campus makeover and cookout
- March 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- March 19 20 | 05:30 PM Open house for all-new Cameron
- March 20 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- March 20 20 | 06:30 PM Community health fair
- March 26 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- March 29 20 | 08:30 AM Run 4Education
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- August 13 20 - August 15 20 Staff Development
- August 18 20 - August 19 20 Teacher Workdays
- August 20 20 - August 22 20 Staff Development
- August 25 20 First Day of School