Coming Attractions, Sep. 27, 2013
Sept. 27, 2013
Oct. 2 (Wed) — SAISD students to compete in Best-Tasting Salsa competition
11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at St. Phillip’s College, 1801 Martin Luther King Drive
Culinary arts students from the District’s Sam Houston will be among teens from seven high schools competing in this event celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month. The culinarians will be required to incorporate ingredients into their salsa that will be kept secret until start time. Among those invited to serve as judges are Johnny Hernandez, chef of several local restaurants, and a California Fruit Co. representative.
Oct. 2 (Wed) — Magnet and In-District Charter School Fair
5 to 7:30 p.m. at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive
The public is invited to learn about the educational opportunities open to next year’s kindergartners and 6th- and 9th-graders from throughout Bexar County offered through SAISD’s Magnet programs and in-District charter schools. For more information visit www.saisd.net.
Oct. 3 (Thurs) — Read for the Record
8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Maverick Elementary School, 107 Raleigh St.
Students at this near Northwest Side-campus will be among those nationwide attempting to break the 2012 record of more than two million readers in this annual shared-reading event. This year’s selection, “Otis” by Loren Young, inspired the day’s theme of “Farm- EIEIO-Otis Day!” In honor of this tale of a fun-loving farm tractor, students and staff are encouraged to dress in western wear and there also will be hayrides and a petting zoo. Highlights will be:
● 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. SAISD Superintendent Dr. Sylvester Perez and District 26 Texas Sen. Leticia Van de Putte, guest readers.
● 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Petting zoo and hayrides.
● 2 p.m. SAISD School Board President Ed Garza, guest reader.
Oct. 3 (Thurs) — ‘FIRST GENERATION’ film screening
Times and places listed below.
East Side-area middle and high school students and their families will see this award-winning documentary narrated by actor Blair Underwood about four high school students from diverse backgrounds who set out to break the cycle of poverty by pursuing a college education. Following each of the screenings, attendees will have the opportunity to participate in a discussion with Adam Fenderson, one of the film's directors, and Dontay Gray, an African-American football player featured in the film. They also will receive a takeaway card outlining the top five things they can be doing to prepare for college. This event will kick off College Awareness and Readiness Week activities. The opportunity is provided in a partnership between SAISD, SAISD GEAR UP II, the Family Service Association, Generation TX and the Women's Leadership Council of United Way of San Antonio and Bexar County. Screenings will be:
● 9 to 11:30 a.m. at Wheatley Middle School, 415 Gabriel St. This screening is for 8th-graders.
● 2 to 4:15 p.m. at Sam Houston High School, 4635 E. Houston St. This screening is for 9th-graders.
● 6 to 8 p.m. at Sam Houston High School, 4635 E. Houston St. This screening is for M.L. King Academy, Davis and Wheatley middle schools and Sam Houston High School parents and family members. A kids’ room will be provided for parents of young children and will include games and college-art activities.