Lead ceremony in remembrance of Sept. 11, 2001
Who: Edison High School Magnet students, joined by members of the San Antonio fire and police departments
What: Lead ceremony in remembrance of Sept. 11, 2001
When: Sept. 11 (Wed) – 8:40 a.m., with 9:30 a.m. wreath ceremony
Where: Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive
Students representing the school’s Public Safety and Health Professions Magnet programs will lead this solemn observance of the 12th-year anniversary of the Sept. 11 attack. The events will be:
● 8:43 a.m. – Background music of bagpipes and drums.
● 8:55 a.m. – Moment of silence marking the time the first plane struck the World Trade Center’s North Tower. Edison’s police cadets, fire cadets, and health magnet students will stand in formation while the names of the firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty will be read.
● 9 a.m. – Moment of silence marking the time the second plane struck the World Trade Center’s South Tower. The reading of names and the background music of bagpipes and drums resume.
● 9:10 a.m. – Moment of silence marking the time Flight 77 struck the Pentagon. The reading of the names continues.
● 9:20 a.m. – Moment of silence marking the crash of Flight 93 near Shanksville, Pa. The reading of names continues.
● 9:30 a.m. – Firefighters, police officers, emergency medical service personnel and school principal Charles Muñoz place wreath on the flag pole. Taps will be performed by Edison band trumpeters.
● 9:35 a.m. – Remarks from dignitaries.
About the Magnet Programs:
PUBLIC SAFETY AT EDISON HIGH SCHOOL
SAISD has partnered with San Antonio College (SAC) and the San Antonio Fire and Police Departments to offer a fast track to careers in fire science and law enforcement. The Fire and Police Academies are open to juniors and seniors throughout Bexar County and offer college credits equal to a freshman year and industry certifications. They are the only such programs in Bexar County. Students will get hands-on experience by participating in internships – including ride-outs with SAPD or SAFD – and benefit from having mentors from the respective departments.
HEALTH PROFESSIONS AT EDISON HIGH SCHOOL
Students choose from career pathways in Nursing, Dental Assistant and Pharmacy Technician, and as a junior or senior visit local hospitals three times a week to shadow healthcare workers and observe procedures and clinical practice. This program offers students the opportunity to get accepted into a professional school, earn dual credit with local colleges and/or take state certification exams needed to become employed in a medical career.
--- SAISD ----
To transform SAISD into a national model urban school district where every child graduates and is educated so that he or she is prepared to be a contributing member of the community.
Our primary purpose of improving lives through a quality education is driven by an unrelenting determination to graduate all of our students and prepare them for success in higher education. Our ideology is reflected in our fundamental beliefs, commitments and core values that guide us in our daily practices.
- Student Centered
- High Expectations
- Every student can learn and achieve at high levels.
- We are responsible for the education and safety of every student.
- We are responsible for the efficient and effective operation of the school system.
- Everyone should be treated with respect.
- People support what they help create.