Coming Attractions - February 7, 2014
February 7, 2014
Feb. 10-13 — Free family fitness classes
5:20 p.m. at the SAISD schools listed below.
The popular Zumba dance fitness program is offered free to the community weekly at eight District campuses, Classes are in partnership with Health Collaborative, a local network of citizens, community organizations and businesses. Zumba will run through June 6. Upcoming sessions will be:
● Feb, 10 (Mon) – at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
● Feb. 10 (Mon) – at Lanier High School, 1514 W. César Chávez Blvd.
● Feb. 11 (Tues) – at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive
● Feb. 11 (Tues) – at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
● Feb. 12 (Wed) – at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave.
● Feb. 12 (Wed) – at Rogers Elementary School (for the Edison High School community), 620 McIlvaine St.
● Feb. 13 (Thurs) – at W.W. White Elementary School (for the Sam Houston High School community), 545 S. W.W. White Road
● Feb.13 (Thurs) – at Fox Tech High School, 637 N. Main Ave.
Feb. 10 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
Feb. 13 (Thurs) — ‘Night in the Big City’ GEAR UP family engagement
4:30 to 6 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
High school freshmen and their family members will celebrate literacy through a variety of fun events including games such as “Jeopardy!” and “Bananagrams” and activities including an open mic, reading corner and cookie decorating table. There also will be free food and prizes, Host is Diplomas Now, a research-based school transformation model provided in partnership with the Johns Hopkins University School of Education’s Talent Development Secondary, City Year and Communities in Schools. Burbank is one of two SAISD schools offering Diplomas Now. The event is designed to promote literacy across the curriculum and to encourage community and family engagement. It also is part of the college-prep GEAR UP, Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs.