Coming Attractions July 16, 2009
SAISD Web News
July 16, 2009
Ongoing thru July 30 — Head Start program registration
8 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 6 p.m. at the SAISD Johnson Center, 1811 S. Laredo St.
Enrollment will be held for eligible children. To qualify, a child must be 3 or 4 years old by Sept. 1 and meet other requirements. For information parents are asked to call 222-8591.
10 a.m. at Sam Houston High School, 4635 E. Houston St.
Eight Sam Houston Hurricanes will be among teens nationwide who – along with members of the Los Angeles-based GYO (Godparent Youth Organization) – will present 50 backpacks filled with school supplies to pre-selected youngsters. The San Antonio trek is among the stops on a 30-day cross-country tour during which participants also are writing essays, visiting colleges and universities and historic sites including the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls. Following the Alamo City give-away, the journey will conclude back in L.A. The Sam Houston contingent is scheduled to return to San Antonio on July 22 where they will serve as GYO ambassadors at their school and in their community.
July 21 (Tues) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
Summer programs for students*
These are just a sample of learning opportunities, and may be subject to change. Parents are asked to contact their child’s school for more information.
July 20-24 — Excellent Science Adventure
8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Mitchell Lake Science Audubon Center, 10750 Pleasanton Road
Ongoing thru July 31 — PREP 2009
8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at St. Philip's College, 1801 Martin Luther King Drive and at the UTSA Downtown Campus, 1 UTSA Circle
Nearly 70 6th and 7th graders from SAISD’s Young Women’s Leadership Academy are improving their abstract reasoning and problem-solving skills in preparation of careers in mathematics, science, technology or engineering through participation in PREP, the San Antonio Pre-freshman Engineering Program.
Ongoing thru Aug. 8 — San Antonio Summer Youth Program
7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.weekdays at 16 SAISD schools
Sponsored by SAISD and the San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department to provide supervised recreational opportunities.
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 21 20 | 10:00 AM Excellence in Education news conference
- May 22 20 | 05:00 PM 2013 Art Showcase
- May 22 20 | 06:30 PM SAISD Night of Champions
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Make-Up Day
- June 10 20 | 05:00 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 | 08:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 14 20 | 03:30 PM GED Graduation
- June 14 20 | 08:00 PM Travis Early College High School Graduation
- June 15 20 | 05:00 PM Cooper Academy Graduation
- June 15 20 | 07:30 PM Navarro High School Graduation