Coming Attractions July 16, 2009
SAISD Web News
July 16, 2009
Ongoing thru July 30 — Head Start program registration
8 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 6 p.m. at the SAISD Johnson Center, 1811 S. Laredo St.
Enrollment will be held for eligible children. To qualify, a child must be 3 or 4 years old by Sept. 1 and meet other requirements. For information parents are asked to call 222-8591.
10 a.m. at Sam Houston High School, 4635 E. Houston St.
Eight Sam Houston Hurricanes will be among teens nationwide who – along with members of the Los Angeles-based GYO (Godparent Youth Organization) – will present 50 backpacks filled with school supplies to pre-selected youngsters. The San Antonio trek is among the stops on a 30-day cross-country tour during which participants also are writing essays, visiting colleges and universities and historic sites including the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls. Following the Alamo City give-away, the journey will conclude back in L.A. The Sam Houston contingent is scheduled to return to San Antonio on July 22 where they will serve as GYO ambassadors at their school and in their community.
July 21 (Tues) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
Summer programs for students*
These are just a sample of learning opportunities, and may be subject to change. Parents are asked to contact their child’s school for more information.
July 20-24 — Excellent Science Adventure
8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Mitchell Lake Science Audubon Center, 10750 Pleasanton Road
Ongoing thru July 31 — PREP 2009
8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at St. Philip's College, 1801 Martin Luther King Drive and at the UTSA Downtown Campus, 1 UTSA Circle
Nearly 70 6th and 7th graders from SAISD’s Young Women’s Leadership Academy are improving their abstract reasoning and problem-solving skills in preparation of careers in mathematics, science, technology or engineering through participation in PREP, the San Antonio Pre-freshman Engineering Program.
Ongoing thru Aug. 8 — San Antonio Summer Youth Program
7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.weekdays at 16 SAISD schools
Sponsored by SAISD and the San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department to provide supervised recreational opportunities.
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- June 10 20 - June 28 20 | 07:30 AM Greater San Antonio All Stars summer enrichment
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 08:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 10 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM SAISD summer musical theatre camp
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 10:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 11 20 - August 09 20 Seamless Summer Nutrition Program
- June 11 20 - June 28 20 | 09:00 AM Jump Start Your Summer AND GEAR UP for High School
- June 17 20 - August 09 20 | 07:30 AM Summer recreation
- June 17 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM 4th Annual Alamo City Band Camp
- June 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- July 30 20 - July 31 20 | 08:00 AM Pre-K Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 06 20 - August 09 20 Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 14 20 - August 23 20 Staff Development Days
- August 19 20 - August 20 20 Teacher Workday
- August 26 20 First Day of School
- September 02 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 25 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks
- October 28 20 Start of 2nd Nine Weeks
- November 25 20 - November 29 20 Holiday - Thanksgiving Day
- December 23 20 - January 03 20 Holiday - Winter Break
- January 20 20 Holiday - MLK Jr. Day