Coming Attractions July 23, 2009
SAISD Web News
July 23, 2009
July 25 (Sat) — ‘CommuniCaring for Kids’
school immunization and health fair
9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Barrio Family Health Center, 1102 Barclay
Parents of SAISD students can take advantage of this opportunity to ensure their children are up-to-date on immunizations necessary to start school. Shot records are required, as well as proof of income for those seeking this service for free. Families may also receive medical screenings and information on healthy living. This is the first of two fairs to be sponsored by ComuniCare health centers.
Ongoing thru July 30 — Head Start program registration
8 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 6 p.m. at the SAISD Johnson Center,
1811 S. Laredo St.
Enrollment will be held for eligible children. To qualify, a child must be 3 or 4 years old by Sept. 1 and meet other requirements. For information parents are asked to call 222-8591.
Aug. 1 (Sat) — School supply drive
10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at H-E-B McCreless Market,
4100 S. New Braunfels Ave.
In conjunction with first-year anniversary celebrations, this Southeast Side store is helping youngsters get a successful start to the new school year. An SAISD school bus will be parked on the H-E-B parking lot for generous customers to donate supplies. SAISD is among three districts – and the only featured this day during the annual tax-free weekend - benefitting from school supply drives the store is hosting.
Summer programs for students*
These are just a sample of learning opportunities, and may be subject to change. Parents are asked to contact their child’s school for more information.
July 27-30 — First Tee Summer Golf Camp
8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Brackenridge Park First Tee,
915 E. Mulberry Ave.
Fifty Young Women’s Leadership Academy 6th-, 7th- and 8th-graders will learn not only the rules, etiquette and sportsmanship of golf, but also goal setting, how to stay calm and composed under pressure, perseverance, courtesy, confidence, respect and responsibility as well. The golf camp at the park’s polo practice field is one of several learning experiences students at San Antonio’s only all-girls public school are enjoying this summer.
Ongoing thru July 31 — PREP 2009
8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at St. Philip's College, 1801 Martin Luther King Drive and at the UTSA Downtown Campus, 1 UTSA Circle
Nearly 70 6th and 7th graders from SAISD’s Young Women’s Leadership Academy are improving their abstract reasoning and problem-solving skills in preparation of careers in mathematics, science, technology or engineering through participation in PREP, the San Antonio Pre-freshman Engineering Program.
Ongoing thru Aug. 8 — San Antonio Summer Youth Program
7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.weekdays at 16 SAISD schools
Sponsored by SAISD and the San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department to provide supervised recreational opportunities.
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- March 12 20 | 01:30 PM Campus makeover and cookout
- March 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- March 19 20 | 05:30 PM Open house for all-new Cameron
- March 20 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- March 20 20 | 06:30 PM Community health fair
- March 26 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- March 29 20 | 08:30 AM Run 4Education
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- August 13 20 - August 15 20 Staff Development
- August 18 20 - August 19 20 Teacher Workdays
- August 20 20 - August 22 20 Staff Development
- August 25 20 First Day of School
- September 01 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 20 20 - October 23 20 State Testing Dates
- October 24 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks