To transform SAISD into a national model urban school district where every child graduates and is educated so that he or she is prepared to be a contributing member of the community.
Vice President, District 6
Mrs. Hernandez was elected to the Board in May 2006 and proudly represents the people of the Thomas Edison Cluster. She is a life-long SAISD resident, a graduate of Thomas Jefferson High School and an SAISD retiree. She holds an Honorary Life Membership of the Texas Congress of Parents and Teachers Association. Mrs. Hernandez, her husband, and two daughters are all proud products of SAISD. Her term expires in 2015.
What is a School Board?
The SAISD Board of Trustees, composed of seven District residents, is the school system's policy-making body. Each trustee represents one of seven single-member districts and is elected by voters of that district. Single-member districts were implemented in 1986. Trustees serve four-year terms
The Board's major duties include:
- Adopting goals and objectives for the District
- Reviewing and acting on policies
- Adopting an annual budget and setting the tax rate
- Electing school personnel as recommended by the superintendent
- Reporting to the public on the District's progress