Ruben D. Cuero
Rubén D. Cuero
Vice President - District 1
Mr. Cuero was elected to the Board in May 2009. He immigrated from Colombia as an adolescent and holds a Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering and a Masters degree in Business Administration. He worked for the IBM Corporation for 10 years and owned a small business for 7 years. He currently works as an independent small business consultant. Mr. Cuero has two young daughters, both of whom attend SAISD schools. His current term expires in 2013.
What is a School Board?
The SAISD Board of Trustees, composed of seven District residents, is the school system's policy-making body. Each trustee represents one of seven single-member districts and is elected by voters of that district. Single-member districts were implemented in 1986. Trustees serve four-year terms
The Board's major duties include:
- Adopting goals and objectives for the District
- Reviewing and acting on policies
- Adopting an annual budget and setting the tax rate
- Electing school personnel as recommended by the superintendent
- Reporting to the public on the District's progress