Coming Attractions August 14, 2009
Aug. 14, 2009
Aug. 17 (Mon) — School Board meeting
4:00 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
Aug. 17-20 — Geek Squad summer technology training
8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Young Women’s Leadership Academy, 2123 W. Huisache Ave
Students at San Antonio’s only all-girls public school will learn all about computers from the inside out. Training sessions will include building a computer, Web design, creating digital music through use of electronic instruments and computer-based recording software, and basic network troubleshooting skills. Funding, supplies and training will be provided by Best Buy Inc. This is the final in a series of learning experiences Young Women’s Leadership Academy students have enjoyed this summer.
Aug. 18 (Tues) — ‘Laying the Foundation’ professional training session
8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Sam Houston High School, 4635 E. Houston St.
SAISD Advanced Placement and Pre-AP English, math and science teachers will learn new ways to teach their students high-level thinking skills as part of rigorous lessons in their respective subjects. Training will focus on hands-on learning, creativity, and for science and math, technology and technical literacy. This is the first of four “Laying the Foundation” professional learning sessions to be held during the 2009-10 school year.
Aug. 18-20 — ‘Building a New SAISD’ community meetings
6 p.m. at the high schools listed below
The public is invited to comment on three plans drafted by a community-based committee to restructure SAISD into a stronger school district over the next decade. While differing in detail, each is designed to provide students with greater educational opportunities and resources. The proposals can be viewed in advance at www.saisd.net or at any SAISD school. The following are the first of three community meetings scheduled through Sept. 9.
● Aug. 18 (Tues) at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive
● Aug. 19 (Wed) at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive
● Aug. 20 (Thurs) at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Aug. 20 (Thurs) — School supplies donation
2 p.m. at Kelly Elementary School, 1026 Thompson Place.
Partners from the Boeing Co. and Marriott Hotels and Resorts will help at least 200 students get 2009-10 off to a productive start by donating back packs filled with school supplies.
Aug. 21 (Fri) — SAISD Summer Graduation Ceremony
7 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
The colors of all SAISD high schools will be represented in this commencement for 12th-graders Districtwide who completed graduation requirements by attending summer school.
Aug. 25 (Tues) — SA YES Foundation to donate school supplies
● 8:45 a.m. at Ball Elementary School, 343 Koehler Court at S. New Braunfels Ave.
● 8:45 a.m. at Bowden Elementary School, 515 Willow St.
● 8:45 a.m. at Hirsch Elementary School, 4826 Sea Breeze Drive
● 10 a.m. at Foster Elementary School, 6718 Pecan Valley Drive
● 10 a.m. at Japhet Elementary School, 314 Astor St.
● 10 a.m. at Miller Elementary School, 207 Lincolnshire Drive
Aug. 26 (Wed) — SA YES Foundation to donate school supplies
● 8:45 a.m. at J.T. Brackenridge Academy, 1214 Guadalupe St.
● 8:45 a.m. at Storm Academy, 435 Brady Blvd.
● 10 a.m. at Brewer Elementary School, 906 Merida St.
Aug. 26-27 — After-School Challenge registration
4 to 7 p.m. at the Alamo Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta St.
Registration days are determined by the academy, elementary or middle school the youngster attends. For more information visit: www.saisd.net
--- SAISD ---
- KABB: Gardening project in partnership with UIW at Carroll ECEC
- Rivard Report: Inner City School Success: San Antonio’s Best-Kept Secret
- MySA: SAISD students sing for bus drivers
- WOAI: SAISD newly-appointed superintendent, "this is very heartfelt"
- KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
- KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
- Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history