Coming Attractions August 21, 2009
Aug. 21, 2009
Aug. 22 (Sat) — Paraprofessional-Classified Job Fair
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at SAISD Department of Human Resources, 141 Lavaca St.
Positions sought include bus driver assistants, custodians, food service substitutes, interpreters for the deaf, instructional assistants for special needs students, mariachi instructors, and police officers. The application process begins online at www.saisd.net.
Aug. 24 (Mon) — First day of school
Aug. 24 (Mon) — Mayor and councilwoman to greet students
7:40 a.m. at Washington Elementary School, 1823 Nolan St.
In addition to welcoming youngsters back to school, Julián Castro and Ivy Taylor, whose District 2 represents this East Side school, will promote the importance of literacy. Returning students will be rewarded with inspirational bookmarks, and will also receive public library card registration forms.
Aug. 24 (Mon) — SAISD superintendent to lend helping hand
10:30 a.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Dr. Robert J. Durón will be among several District administrators and Trustees volunteering their time in the classroom to support new educators. Social studies teacher Holly Lennox won the superintendent’s aid as a summer orientation door prize.
Aug. 25 (Tues) — SA YES Foundation to donate school supplies
● 8:45 a.m. at Ball Elementary School, 343 Koehler Court at S. New Braunfels Ave.
● 8:45 a.m. at Bowden Elementary School, 515 Willow St.
● 8:45 a.m. at Hirsch Elementary School, 4826 Sea Breeze Drive
● 10 a.m. at Foster Elementary School, 6718 Pecan Valley Drive
● 10 a.m. at Japhet Elementary School, 314 Astor St.
● 10 a.m. at Miller Elementary School, 207 Lincolnshire Drive
Aug. 26 (Wed) — SA YES Foundation to donate school supplies
● 8:45 a.m. at J.T. Brackenridge Academy, 1214 Guadalupe St.
● 8:45 a.m. at Storm Academy, 435 Brady Blvd.
● 10 a.m. at Brewer Elementary School, 906 Merida St.
Aug. 26-27 — After-School Challenge registration
4 to 7 p.m. at the Alamo Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta St.
Registration days are determined by the academy, elementary or middle school the students attends. For more information visit back-to-school news at: www.saisd.net.
Sept. 1-3 — ‘Building a New SAISD’ community meetings
6 p.m. at the high schools listed below
The public is invited to comment on three plans drafted by a community-based committee to restructure SAISD into a stronger school district over the next decade. While differing in detail, each is designed to provide students with greater educational opportunities and resources. The proposals can be viewed in advance at www.saisd.net or at any SAISD school. The following are among five community meetings scheduled through Sept. 9.
● Sept. 1 (Tues) at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
● Sept. 2 (Weds) at Sam Houston High School, 4635 E. Houston St.● Sept. 3 (Thurs) at Lanier High School, 1514 W. Durango Blvd.
--- SAISD ---
- March 03 20 - March 06 20 | 05:20 PM Free family fitness classes
- March 04 20 - March 07 20 Head Start 2014 Application Event
- March 07 20 | 11:00 AM Pre-spring break food drive
- March 07 20 | 03:00 PM Community health fair
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- March 26 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- March 29 20 | 08:30 AM Run 4Education
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School