Coming Attractions August 28, 2009
Aug. 28, 2009
Aug 31 (Mon) — Budget and tax rate public hearing and special-called School Board meeting 5:30 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
Public input is sought on the proposed $473 million budget and $1.25 per $100 valuation tax rate for 2009-10. Trustees are scheduled to take action on both following the public hearing’s conclusion. If approved, SAISD’s tax rate will remain the same as last year’s.
Sept. 1-3 and Sept. 8-9— ‘Building a New SAISD’ community meetings 6 p.m. at the high schools listed below
The public is invited to comment on three plans drafted by a community-based committee to restructure SAISD into a stronger school district over the next decade. While differing in detail, each is designed to provide students with greater educational opportunities and resources. The proposals can be viewed in advance at www.saisd.net or at any SAISD school. These are the remaining of eight community meetings.
● Sept. 1 (Tues) at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
● Sept. 2 (Weds) at Sam Houston High School, 4635 E. Houston St.
● Sept. 3 (Thurs) at Lanier High School, 1514 W. Durango Blvd.
● Sept. 8 (Tues) at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave.
● Sept. 9 (Wed) at Fox Tech High School, 637 N. Main Ave.
Sept. 7 (Mon) — Labor Day Holiday
All schools and most offices will be closed.
Sept. 8 (Tues) — ‘Reach Out to Dropouts’
9 a.m. starting in all SAISD high school communities
Volunteers will join Mayor Julián Castro and District staff when they take their “come back to school” message to the streets by knocking on the doors of no shows since the Aug. 24 first day of classes. Any reasons teens cite for dropping out will be addressed, and they will be encouraged to return to their home high school. Last year SAISD served as the city of San Antonio’s pilot school district for this program. The effort resulted in more than 100 potential dropouts returning to school, some of whom already have graduated.
--- SAISD ---
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- December 09 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- December 11 20 | 04:45 PM Eagle band to serenade King William Historic Distr...
- December 12 20 | 09:00 AM Mock arrest warrant issued for Santa Claus
- December 12 20 | 06:00 PM Taste of the Season
- December 13 20 | 01:00 PM Toy giveaway
- December 14 20 | 09:00 AM Twentieth-annual mock trial of Santa Claus
- December 23 20 - January 03 20 Holiday - Winter Break
- January 20 20 Holiday - MLK Jr. Day
- February 17 20 Holiday / Bad Weather Day
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School