Coming Attractions August 28, 2009
Aug. 28, 2009
Aug 31 (Mon) — Budget and tax rate public hearing and special-called School Board meeting 5:30 p.m. at the Burnet Center, 406 Barrera St.
Public input is sought on the proposed $473 million budget and $1.25 per $100 valuation tax rate for 2009-10. Trustees are scheduled to take action on both following the public hearing’s conclusion. If approved, SAISD’s tax rate will remain the same as last year’s.
Sept. 1-3 and Sept. 8-9— ‘Building a New SAISD’ community meetings 6 p.m. at the high schools listed below
The public is invited to comment on three plans drafted by a community-based committee to restructure SAISD into a stronger school district over the next decade. While differing in detail, each is designed to provide students with greater educational opportunities and resources. The proposals can be viewed in advance at www.saisd.net or at any SAISD school. These are the remaining of eight community meetings.
● Sept. 1 (Tues) at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
● Sept. 2 (Weds) at Sam Houston High School, 4635 E. Houston St.
● Sept. 3 (Thurs) at Lanier High School, 1514 W. Durango Blvd.
● Sept. 8 (Tues) at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave.
● Sept. 9 (Wed) at Fox Tech High School, 637 N. Main Ave.
Sept. 7 (Mon) — Labor Day Holiday
All schools and most offices will be closed.
Sept. 8 (Tues) — ‘Reach Out to Dropouts’
9 a.m. starting in all SAISD high school communities
Volunteers will join Mayor Julián Castro and District staff when they take their “come back to school” message to the streets by knocking on the doors of no shows since the Aug. 24 first day of classes. Any reasons teens cite for dropping out will be addressed, and they will be encouraged to return to their home high school. Last year SAISD served as the city of San Antonio’s pilot school district for this program. The effort resulted in more than 100 potential dropouts returning to school, some of whom already have graduated.
--- SAISD ---
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 20 20 | 09:00 AM Parent room grand opening
- May 20 20 | 09:00 AM Career Day
- May 20 20 | 10:00 AM Edison High School to hold Mock Disater Drill
- May 20 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- May 21 20 | 10:00 AM Excellence in Education news conference
- May 22 20 | 05:00 PM 2013 Art Showcase
- May 22 20 | 06:30 PM SAISD Night of Champions
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Make-Up Day
- June 10 20 | 05:00 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 | 08:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony