Coming Attractions September 04, 2009
Sept. 04, 2009
Sept. 7 (Mon) — Labor Day Holiday
All schools and most offices will be closed.
Sept. 8 (Tues) — ‘Reach Out to Dropouts’
9 a.m. starting in all SAISD high school communities
Volunteers will join Superintendent Dr. Robert J. Durón, Mayor Julián Castro and District staff when they take their “come back to school” message to the streets by knocking on the doors of no shows since the Aug. 24 first day of classes. Any reasons teens cite for dropping out will be addressed, and they will be encouraged to return to their home high school. Last year SAISD served as the city of San Antonio’s pilot school district for this program. The effort resulted in nearly 140 potential dropouts returning to school, some of whom already have graduated.
Sept. 8-9— ‘Building a New SAISD’ community meetings
6 p.m. at the high schools listed below
The public is invited to comment on three plans drafted by a community-based committee to restructure SAISD into a stronger school district over the next decade. While differing in detail, each is designed to provide students with greater educational opportunities and resources. The proposals can be viewed in advance at www.saisd.net or at any SAISD school. These are the remaining of eight community meetings.
● Sept. 8 (Tues) at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave.
● Sept. 9 (Wed) at Fox Tech High School, 637 N. Main Ave.
Sept. 10 (Thurs) — District 125 Book drive rally
8:30 to 11 a.m. at Wrenn Middle School (East Central ISD), 627 S. Acme Road
State Rep. Joaquin Castro will be joined by SAISD School Board President James Howard and other civic leaders in promoting literacy. Partners include the San Antonio Public Library, Half Price Books, and Barnes and Noble Bookstores. Last year’s efforts resulted in more than 130,000 books and reading materials donated to 100 schools and shelters citywide. This is the fifth consecutive year that Castro, who represents District 125, has sponsored the book drive.
Sept. 10 (Thurs) — Student council rally
2:30 p.m. at Maverick Elementary School, 107 Raleigh St. at Babcock Road
Youngsters will exercise their civic duty by voting for school president, vice president, secretary, and treasurer after hearing each candidate’s platform. The prospective campus leaders comprise the student council, which in addition to serving their constituents, perform and coordinate community service projects such as neighborhood beautification, tree plantings and recycling.
Sept. 11 (Fri) — Patriot Day ceremony
8 a.m. at the Jefferson High School flagpole, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Students will join patriots worldwide in pausing to honor the lives of those lost through terrorism on this day in 2001.
Sept. 12 (Sat) — SAISD Fall Bilingual Symposium
7:15 a.m. to 12:35 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
Keynote speaker will be Dr. María Hernández Ferrier, Texas A&M University-San Antonio’s interim president, and award-winning Bonham Academy dual language student Laura Gonima will be honored. Last year as a 3rd-grader she placed first in the NABE’s (National Association for Bilingual Education) essay contest on "Why I am Proud to be Bilingual." Each year these symposiums are held for SAISD Bilingual/English as a Second Language educators, and for secondary core content teachers who teach-English language learners.
--- SAISD ---
- April 14 20 - April 17 20 | 05:20 PM Free family fitness classes
- April 17 20 | 02:00 PM Annual Fiesta Shoebox Float Parade
- April 17 20 | 06:15 PM Second Annual Pitch for the Cure
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony