Coming Attractions September 11, 2009
Sept. 11, 2009
Sept. 12 (Sat) — SAISD Fall Bilingual Symposium
7:15 a.m. to 12:35 p.m. at Burbank High School, 1002 Edwards St.
Keynote speaker will be Dr. María Hernández Ferrier, Texas A&M University-San Antonio’s interim president. Award-winning Bonham Academy dual language student Laura Gonima will be honored -- last year as a 3rd-grader she placed first in the NABE’s (National Association for Bilingual Education) essay contest on "Why I am Proud to be Bilingual.” Each year these symposiums are held for SAISD Bilingual/English as a Second Language educators, and for secondary core content teachers who teach English-language learners.
Sept. 16 (Wed) — ‘The Heat is On!’ pep rally
6 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave
Performances by the Mustang band, Lassos and cheerleaders will motivate students from feeder Maverick Elementary to get fired up about attendance, learning, and in raising their school’s academic ranking from recognized to exemplary. Joining in the pep rally will be their parents, school staff and principals from Longfellow Middle School and the host campus.
Sept. 17 (Thurs) — Annual SAISD Parent Summit
8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Education Service Center, Region 20, 1314 Hines Ave.
This year’s theme is “Today’s Families: Parenting ‘Technology Savvy Children.” The keynote address “Global Socialization – Social Networking and Our Children” will be delivered by Marcos Zorola, SAISD’s technology chief information officer. District Superintendent Dr. Robert J. Durón also will address parents. Topics of the sessions include: digital cheating; cyberbullying and Internet safety; growing up online; and sexting and texting. Health and wellness sessions also will be presented.
--- SAISD ---
- KABB: Gardening project in partnership with UIW at Carroll ECEC
- Rivard Report: Inner City School Success: San Antonio’s Best-Kept Secret
- MySA: SAISD students sing for bus drivers
- WOAI: SAISD newly-appointed superintendent, "this is very heartfelt"
- KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
- KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
- Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history