Coming Attractions September 18, 2009
Sept. 18, 2009
Sept. 19 (Sat) — Fox Tech cosmetologists to participate in Quinceañera Fashion Show
1 to 3 p.m. at the Central Library auditorium, 600 Soledad St.
Thanks to the talent and skills of cosmetology students from the nearby downtown high school, models will be able to put their best face, as well as their best foot, forward on the runway. Hair and makeup for the fashion show will be done by nine Fox Tech students. This event honoring the Latino tradition of a special celebration for a girl's 15th birthday is in observance of National Hispanic Heritage Month.
Sept. 21 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. in the Central Office Board Room, 141 Lavaca St.
‘Planning for Life’ training
Sept. 22 (Tues) — 1:30 to 4:15 p.m.
at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive
Sept. 23 (Wed) — 8:30 to 11:30 a.m.
at Sam Houston High School, 4635 E. Houston St.
Sept. 23 (Wed) — 1:30 to 4:15 p.m.
at Fox Tech High School, 636 N. Main Ave.
Sept. 25 (Fri) — 12:50 to 3:20 p.m.
at Highlands High School, 3118 Elgin Ave.
This holistic approach is designed to prepare students academically, physically, mentally, and spiritually to further their education and plan for life. During the training students will exercise their minds through test taking and their bodies through a physical fitness session including healthy-eating tips. A motivational speaker will encourage teens to set goals, and to develop their leadership and character skills. The event is sponsored by the U.S. Army in partnership with the Council for Opportunity in Education’s TRIO program, the League of United Latin American Citizens, and the National Urban League. More than 42,000 students nationwide participated in the program last school year.
Sept. 22 (Tues) — Mayoral visit to highlight ‘¡Viva Cultura!’
5 to 8 p.m. at Twain Middle School, 2411 San Pedro Ave.
Julián Castro will join Hispanic leaders including SAISD Superintendent Dr. Robert J. Durón and attorney Tina C. Torres in honoring the contributions of local Mexican Americans. Student entertainment will be provided by Twain’s advanced mariachi, advanced choir, band, and the Latin Bearcats dancers. Other highlights will include the reading of vignettes in English and Spanish from San Antonio author Sandra Cisneros’ coming-of-age novella “House on Mango Street.” The grand finale will feature the Edison High School mariachi, whose members include Twain alumni. National Hispanic Heritage Month observances will conclude with refreshments in the school cafeteria.
Sept. 22 (Tues) — SAISD Council of PTAs general meeting
6:30 p.m. at Brackenridge High School, 400 Eagleland Drive at South St. Mary’s Street
The public is invited to the meetings of PTA chapter representatives Districtwide.
Sept. 22-24 — ‘Laying the Foundation’ professional training session
8 a.m. to 4:40 p.m. at Mission Academy, 9210 S. Presa St
SAISD Advanced Placement and Pre-AP English, math and science teachers will learn new ways to teach their students high-level thinking skills as part of rigorous lessons on their respective subjects. The training will focus on hands-on learning, creativity, technology and technical literacy. This is the second in a series of “Laying the Foundation” sessions to be held during the 2009-10 school year.
Sept. 24 (Thurs) — Ministers luncheon
11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Emmanuel AME Church, 600 Semlinger Road
Representatives from a variety of religious organizations will gather to learn about and to share ideas on improving SAISD. The luncheon is sponsored by School Board President James Howard and Superintendent Dr. Robert J. Durón, and the meal will be catered by Sam Houston High School Culinary Arts students.
Sept. 25 (Fri) — Radio Disney visit
2 p.m. at Douglass Academy, 318 Martin L. King Drive
In observance of National Hispanic Heritage History Month students will be treated to a reading of Flor Ada’s and Isabel Campy’s “Mama Goose: A Latino Nursery Treasury,” by a representative from the popular radio network Radio Disney AM 1160.
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 04:30 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 08:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 13 20 | 05:30 PM GED graduation ceremony