Coming Attractions September 25, 2009
Halftime of the Jefferson-Kennedy football game at Alamo Stadium, 110 Tuleta St.
Former band members from multiple decades will take the field for a joint performance with the current Mustang marching musicians. Among them will be SAISD District 7 Trustee and former San Antonio Mayor Ed Garza and some District employees. This annual event is one of several ways the alumni band members stay involved with their alma mater. Proceeds from membership dues also are used to benefit the school.
Sept. 28 (Mon) — Exclusive graduation ceremony
9:45 a.m. at Navarro Academy, 623 S. Pecos St.
The new school year has just begun, but Navarro already has a commencement to celebrate. After receiving his diploma from SAISD Area Executive Director Liz Melson, graduate Cesar Martinez – dressed in cap and gown - will march through the halls of the school as he takes his first steps toward his future successes. Cesar achieved this milestone by attending school for extended hours and through other innovative learning opportunities afforded by this non-traditional high school of choice. Despite challenges that included work and being a teen parent, Cesar managed to complete his graduation requirements in just three years.
Sept. 29 thru Oct. 1 — ‘Laying the Foundation’ professional training session
8 a.m. to 4:40 p.m. at Mission Academy, 9210 S. Presa St
SAISD Advanced Placement and Pre-AP English, math and science teachers are learning new ways to teach their students high-level thinking skills as part of rigorous lessons on their respective subjects. The training will focus on hands-on learning, creativity, technology and technical literacy. This is the second in a series of “Laying the Foundation” sessions to be held during the 2009-10 school year.
Oct. 1(Thurs) — ‘Fit and Healthy’ backpack giveaway
10:30 to 11 a.m. at Huppertz Elementary School, 247 Bangor St.
10:30 to 11 a.m. at Madison Elementary School, 2900 W. Woodlawn Ave.
10:30 to 11 a.m. at Nelson Elementary School, 1014 Waverly Ave.
The San Antonio Food Bank and Target have partnered to provide students with backpacks filled with healthy treats.
Oct. 3 (Sat) — ‘We are all Citizens’ Social Studies Conference
8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Education Service Center Region 20, 1314 Hines St.
More than 300 kinder through grade 12 teachers will learn a variety of fun, hands-on lessons designed to pique their students’ interest in social studies. The conference is a collaborative effort between SAISD and the Education Service Center Region 20.
Oct. 3 (Sat) — Lasso Alumni fundraiser
1 to 3 p.m. at Good Time Charlie’s, 2922 Broadway St.
This is the first of two October fundraisers restaurant owners and Jefferson High School graduates Eddie Ruffo and Millard Stetler are hosting to benefit the Lasso Dance and Roping Team. Money raised will go toward purchasing the famous rope twirler’s signature red and blue cowgirl outfits and boots, and all Mustang supporters are invited to attend. The event is sponsored by the Lasso Alumni Association. For more information tune in to the KENS 5 TV Eyewitness News cooking segment on Saturdays Oct. 3 and 10 between 7:30 and 9 a.m. when the fundraisers will be featured, or visit www.lassos.org.
--- SAISD ---
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- March 12 20 | 01:30 PM Campus makeover and cookout
- March 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- March 19 20 | 05:30 PM Open house for all-new Cameron
- March 20 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- March 20 20 | 06:30 PM Community health fair
- March 26 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- March 29 20 | 08:30 AM Run 4Education
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- August 13 20 - August 15 20 Staff Development
- August 18 20 - August 19 20 Teacher Workdays
- August 20 20 - August 22 20 Staff Development
- August 25 20 First Day of School
- September 01 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 20 20 - October 23 20 State Testing Dates
- October 24 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks