Adult & Community Education
Adult & Community Education
- News & Announcements
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Adult Education Classes
- Future Students
- Student Success
- GED Testing
906 Merida St.
Please click the links below for current adult and community education course offerings.
Spanish GED® Classes in 2019
Basic Computer Classes starting in February 2019
Success is Just a Phone Call Away!
GED Testing Brochure
Adult Education Literacy (AEL)
The Adult Education Literacy (AEL) program embraces success for all adult learners, helping them define what success means to them in order to guide them on a path toward continued improvement and growth. The program’s mission is to ensure that all adults who live in San Antonio have the skills necessary to function effectively in their personal and family lives, in the workplace and in the community.
Services offered under the Adult Education program are free of charge to the community and include the following:
- Adult Secondary Education (ASE)/GED® preparation;
- Adult Basic Education (ABE)/ASE/GED® for Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) recipients;
- Adult Basic Education (Mathematics, Reading and Writing);
- English as a Second Language (ESL);
- English Literacy Civics (EL Civics);
- preparation for post-secondary education and training (Transitions); and
- Distance Learning (online classes).
Specialized services include:
- Integrated Education Training (IET) career training combined with workforce preparation and academic support;
- Integrated EL CIVICS (ESL/EL CIVICS/Career Training); and
- Employer partnerships: Contextualized TXCHSE or ESL based on employer needs.
All programs emphasize English language competency, basic and secondary skills in reading, writing, math, problem-solving and workplace literacy.
The SAISD Community Education program identifies, assesses and promotes the learning needs and interests of the community by building relationships with families and local community businesses. The goal is to create partnerships with families and community members that will increase participation in family enrichment activities. The program is designed to raise student academic performance, attendance, and retention which strengthen the community and increase opportunities of an improved quality of life. In collaboration with over 45 community partners, SAISD offers free community education classes in the following strands:
- Healthy and Active Lives
- Financial Literacy
- Discovery Learning
- College & Career Exploration
- Community Enrichment and Leadership
Community member attendance in these classes enhance skills and provide exposure to resources and support from the community that markedly increase participant self-confidence and advance their education, which allow them to assist their children academically and be a role model for family and friends.