Coming Attractions October 12, 2009
October 12, 2009
Ongoing thru Oct. 11 — Lasso Alumni fundraiser
11 a.m. to midnight daily at Good Time Charlie’s, 2922 Broadway St.
Restaurant owners and Jefferson High School graduates Eddie Ruffo and Millard Stetler are donating a percentage from all meals served to the Lasso Dance and Roping Team when patrons say they are dining to support this cause. Money raised will go toward purchasing the famous rope twirler’s signature red and blue cowgirl outfits and boots. For more information visit www.lassos.org.
Oct. 10 (Sat) — SMART Fair carnival and rummage sale
10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Briscoe Academy, 2015 S. Flores St.
The community is invited to enjoy a variety of entertainment and participate in art workshops in conjunction with the nearby third annual SMART (Supporting Multiple Arts Resources Together) Fair. Children can have fun with games and rides at the PTA-sponsored carnival while their parents shop for bargains at a neighborhood rummage sale.
Oct. 10 (Sat) — ‘Chalk It Up’ annual street art festival
10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Houston between Soledad and South Presa streets
Concrete will be their canvas when youngsters from throughout San Antonio - including those from eight SAISD’s schools - join professional artists in adorning a prime downtown thoroughfare in chalk. The performing and culinary arts also will be featured through music, and food and refreshment booths. This annual celebration of creativity is presented by Artpace San Antonio and Valero Energy Corporation along with numerous business and civic partners. SAISD participants will represent Brackenridge, Fox Tech and Jefferson high schools, and Davis, Longfellow, Poe, Tafolla and Wheatley middle schools.
Oct. 13 (Tues) — Radio Disney Visit
2 p.m. at Maverick Elementary School, 107 Raleigh at Babcock Road
In observance of Hispanic Heritage History Month students will be treated to a reading of Flor Ada’s and Isabel Campy’s Mama Goose: A Latino Nursery Treasury by a representative from the popular radio network Radio Disney AM 1160.
Oct. 13 (Tues) — ‘Dig for the Cure’ benefit volleyball match
5:30 and 7 p.m. at Alamo Stadium, 110 Tuleta St.
SAISD high school volleyball players are joining thousands nationwide in dedicating their games to raising money for breast cancer research. Breast cancer survivors will be recognized at 5:15 p.m., preceding the featured matches of Edison vs. Brackenridge, and Lanier vs. Jefferson. The event is in affiliation with the San Antonio Komen Foundation, and all donations will go toward the local chapter.
Oct. 13 (Tues) — Texas Association of the Gifted and Talent parent to be honored
6 p.m. at Bonham Academy, 925 S St. Mary’s St.
During the school’s PTA meeting Magaly Chocano will receive a plaque for her selection as the TAGT Parent of the Year for the South Texas area.
Oct. 14 (Wed) — Dropout prevention and intervention initiative kickoff
8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Gus Garcia Middle School, 3306 Ruiz St.
Details will be announced on a partnership between SAISD, Edgewood ISD, the city of San Antonio and America’s Promise to keep students in school. The communitywide initiative will target at-risk 8th-graders from six SAISD and EISD middle schools in a 12-month effort. Remarks are scheduled for 9 a.m. from guest speakers SAISD and EISD superintendents Dr. Robert J. Durón and Dr. Elizabeth P. Garza, respectively, and Mayor Julián Castro.
Oct. 15 (Thurs) — Red Ribbon Week Kickoff Rally
8:15 to 9:30 a.m. at the Alamodome, 100 Montana St.
SAISD’s De Zavala and W. W. White elementaries will be among the participating schools in this San Antonio Fighting Back-sponsored event. The annual Red Ribbon drug-free observance is the last week in October.
Oct. 16 (Fri) — ‘Lights On Afterschool’
1 p.m. at Hirsch Elementary School, 4826 Sea Breeze Drive
Hirsch is this year’s host site for the annual showcase of learning opportunities available through the city of San Antonio after the school day ends. This local event is part of a national campaign sponsored by the Afterschool Alliance to raise awareness about the importance of afterschool programs.
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 | 05:20 PM Free family fitness classes
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 04:30 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 08:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day