English Language Arts, Reading & Writing - Texas Literacy Initiative
English Language Arts, Reading & Writing
- The Texas Literacy Initiative (TLI) began in Spring 2012 with funding from the Striving
Readers Comprehensive Literacy Grant.
- The SAISD Literacy Line which consists of the Lanier and Sam Houston High Schools
feeder campuses and partners participate in this grant.
- The Texas State Literacy Plan (TSLP) LASERS framework is the blueprint for the
implementation of literacy skills from birth to Grade 12 and is accessed on the Project
- The six module components support teaching and learning, professional development,
data-driven decisions, funding, and progress monitoring.
GoalsThe overarching goal of TLI is to ensure that every Texas child is strategically prepared for
the literacy demands of college and a career by high school graduation. The TLI grant
goals are to do the following:
- Increase the oral language and pre-literacy skills of participating preschool children
- Improve the performance of participating students in kindergarten through grade 2 on
early reading assessments
- Increase the percentage of participating students who meet or exceed proficiency on
the state English language arts assessments in grades 3 through 12
- Increase the use of data and data analysis to inform all decision making in participating
districts, campuses, classrooms, and early learning settings
A campus-based literacy team (CBLT) will assist principal in the school planning and
decision-making responsibilities and communicate to learning community. The team will
participate in the online learning through Project Share which has resources available to
Funds have been provided for Instructional Coaches, supplies and materials, campus book
rooms, classroom libraries, technology, and professional development.