Coming Attractions October 16, 2009
October 16, 2009
Oct. 19 (Mon) — ‘Education on Demand’ rally
10 a.m. to noon at the AT&T Center, 1 AT&T Center Parkway
SAISD students will join their colleagues from throughout the East Side in expressing support for education and career preparation. Motivational speakers invited to rally the crowd include such illustrious San Antonio sports figures as Olympic gold medalist Josh Davis, former Spur Bruce Bowen, boxer Jessie James Leija and NFL running back Priest Holmes who earned a Super Bowl ring with the Baltimore Ravens. The fourth-annual “Education on Demand” is sponsored by District 2 Councilmember Ivy Taylor.
Oct. 19 (Mon) – Bully Buster presentation by the Morris Brothers
1 p.m. at Schenck Elementary School, 101 Kate Schenck Ave.
Self-described nerds Homer and Rupert Morris will use comedy, music and audience participation to help 3rd-through 5th-graders know what to do if confronted by a bully. Their presentation is part of the school’s “Right Choice” character education program promoting courtesy, and pride in self and school. In addition to visiting schools, the Los Angeles-based brothers have hosted Fox TV’s afternoon cartoon line up.
Oct. 19 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. in the Central Office Board Room, 141 Lavaca St.
Oct. 20 (Tues) — Visit by University of Notre Dame students
9:30 a.m. at Gates Elementary School, 510 Morningview Drive
While in town, San Antonians attending this prestigious school will talk about college life and their campus. The visit to 4th-grade teacher Amy Acevedo’s class is part of Gates’ “College Awareness Program.” After the schools were selected for the classrooms, counselor Monica Navarro contacted each “adopted” college or university for information and to seek representatives to speak to students about the benefits of pursuing higher education.
Oct. 20 (Tues) — SAISD Fine Arts Coalition General Assembly Meeting
7 p.m. at the Sam Houston High School music facility, 4635 E. Houston St.
Patrons interested in supporting the District’s fine arts education are invited to attend. Topics of discussion will include upcoming fine arts events and fund raisers. Coalition members comprise parents, students and music educators who advocate improving all aspects of fine arts in SAISD.
Oct. 22 (Thurs) — Career Pathways & Advanced Degrees Information Fair 2009
4:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the Alamo Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta St.
SAISD employees seeking to further their educations and advance their careers can meet with representatives from area and online colleges and universities, and get information on degree plans. Fair sponsor is the SAISD Department of Human Resources.
Oct. 23 (Fri) — Bike Rodeo
9 a.m. at Neal Elementary School, 3407 Capitol Ave.
About 100 kinder through 5th-grade students are expected to maneuver their iron horses through a variety of courses and to demonstrate their dexterity and knowledge of bicycle safety. The winner will qualify for the annual citywide competition sponsored by the San Antonio Police Department.
Oct. 25 (Sun) — 5K Fun Run and Walk
8 a.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
The community, alumni and elected officials, including SAISD School Board members, are invited to take part in this fourth annual event. About 200 runners and walkers are expected to participate, and proceeds will go toward the basketball team’s trip to a Washington, D.C., tournament.
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- June 10 20 - June 28 20 | 07:30 AM Greater San Antonio All Stars summer enrichment
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 08:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 10 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM SAISD summer musical theatre camp
- June 10 20 - August 09 20 | 10:00 AM SA Youth Programs
- June 11 20 - August 09 20 Seamless Summer Nutrition Program
- June 11 20 - June 28 20 | 09:00 AM Jump Start Your Summer AND GEAR UP for High School
- June 17 20 - August 09 20 | 07:30 AM Summer recreation
- June 17 20 - June 21 20 | 08:30 AM 4th Annual Alamo City Band Camp
- July 30 20 - July 31 20 | 08:00 AM Pre-K Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 06 20 - August 09 20 Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 14 20 - August 23 20 Staff Development Days
- August 19 20 - August 20 20 Teacher Workday
- August 26 20 First Day of School
- September 02 20 Holiday - Labor Day
- October 25 20 End of 1st Nine Weeks
- October 28 20 Start of 2nd Nine Weeks
- November 25 20 - November 29 20 Holiday - Thanksgiving Day
- December 23 20 - January 03 20 Holiday - Winter Break
- January 20 20 Holiday - MLK Jr. Day
- February 17 20 Holiday / Bad Weather Day