Coming Attractions October 16, 2009
October 16, 2009
Oct. 19 (Mon) — ‘Education on Demand’ rally
10 a.m. to noon at the AT&T Center, 1 AT&T Center Parkway
SAISD students will join their colleagues from throughout the East Side in expressing support for education and career preparation. Motivational speakers invited to rally the crowd include such illustrious San Antonio sports figures as Olympic gold medalist Josh Davis, former Spur Bruce Bowen, boxer Jessie James Leija and NFL running back Priest Holmes who earned a Super Bowl ring with the Baltimore Ravens. The fourth-annual “Education on Demand” is sponsored by District 2 Councilmember Ivy Taylor.
Oct. 19 (Mon) – Bully Buster presentation by the Morris Brothers
1 p.m. at Schenck Elementary School, 101 Kate Schenck Ave.
Self-described nerds Homer and Rupert Morris will use comedy, music and audience participation to help 3rd-through 5th-graders know what to do if confronted by a bully. Their presentation is part of the school’s “Right Choice” character education program promoting courtesy, and pride in self and school. In addition to visiting schools, the Los Angeles-based brothers have hosted Fox TV’s afternoon cartoon line up.
Oct. 19 (Mon) — School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. in the Central Office Board Room, 141 Lavaca St.
Oct. 20 (Tues) — Visit by University of Notre Dame students
9:30 a.m. at Gates Elementary School, 510 Morningview Drive
While in town, San Antonians attending this prestigious school will talk about college life and their campus. The visit to 4th-grade teacher Amy Acevedo’s class is part of Gates’ “College Awareness Program.” After the schools were selected for the classrooms, counselor Monica Navarro contacted each “adopted” college or university for information and to seek representatives to speak to students about the benefits of pursuing higher education.
Oct. 20 (Tues) — SAISD Fine Arts Coalition General Assembly Meeting
7 p.m. at the Sam Houston High School music facility, 4635 E. Houston St.
Patrons interested in supporting the District’s fine arts education are invited to attend. Topics of discussion will include upcoming fine arts events and fund raisers. Coalition members comprise parents, students and music educators who advocate improving all aspects of fine arts in SAISD.
Oct. 22 (Thurs) — Career Pathways & Advanced Degrees Information Fair 2009
4:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the Alamo Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta St.
SAISD employees seeking to further their educations and advance their careers can meet with representatives from area and online colleges and universities, and get information on degree plans. Fair sponsor is the SAISD Department of Human Resources.
Oct. 23 (Fri) — Bike Rodeo
9 a.m. at Neal Elementary School, 3407 Capitol Ave.
About 100 kinder through 5th-grade students are expected to maneuver their iron horses through a variety of courses and to demonstrate their dexterity and knowledge of bicycle safety. The winner will qualify for the annual citywide competition sponsored by the San Antonio Police Department.
Oct. 25 (Sun) — 5K Fun Run and Walk
8 a.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
The community, alumni and elected officials, including SAISD School Board members, are invited to take part in this fourth annual event. About 200 runners and walkers are expected to participate, and proceeds will go toward the basketball team’s trip to a Washington, D.C., tournament.
- March 04 20 - March 07 20 Head Start 2014 Application Event
- March 07 20 | 11:00 AM Pre-spring break food drive
- March 07 20 | 03:00 PM Community health fair
- March 10 20 - March 14 20 Holiday - Spring Break
- March 12 20 | 01:30 PM Campus makeover and cookout
- March 17 20 | 05:30 PM School Board meeting
- March 19 20 | 05:30 PM Open house for all-new Cameron
- March 20 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Foundation School Breakfast Showcase
- March 20 20 | 06:30 PM Community health fair
- March 26 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- March 29 20 | 08:30 AM Run 4Education
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- August 13 20 - August 15 20 Staff Development
- August 18 20 - August 19 20 Teacher Workdays
- August 20 20 - August 22 20 Staff Development
- August 25 20 First Day of School