Coming Attractions October 23, 2009
October 23, 2009
Oct. 25 (Sun) — 5K Fun Run and Walk
8 a.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
The community, alumni and elected officials, including SAISD School Board members, are invited to take part in this fourth annual event. About 200 runners and walkers are expected to participate, and proceeds will go toward the basketball team’s trip to a Washington, D.C., tournament.
Oct. 26 (Mon) — Special-called School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive near Blanco Road
Oct. 27 (Tues) — Visit from educators nationwide
8:45 to 11:15 a.m. at the Navarro Academy, 623 Pecos St.
While in town attending the 21st annual National Dropout Prevention Network Conference 25 educators from eight states will tour the campus and visit with students attending this non-traditional high school of choice.
Oct. 27 (Tue) – ‘Litter Force’ presentation
2 p.m. at Neal Elementary School, 3407 Capitol Ave.
A quartet of anti-littering superheroes will fight the Evil Trash bad guys to encourage 1st- and 2nd-graders to join the battle to keep Texas beautiful. Neal is among 76 schools the Litter Force contingent is visiting this year as part of the Don’t Mess with Texas campaign program administered by the state’s Department of Transportation.
Oct. 28 (Wed) — SAISD College Night 2009
6 to 8:30 p.m. at the Alamo Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta St. (next to Alamo Stadium)
College and university representatives nationwide will present information on entrance requirements, housing, financial aid, and scholarships.
Oct. 29 (Thurs) — Careers on Wheels Day
8:30 to 10:30 a.m. at Graebner Elementary School, 530 Hoover St.
Presenters will represent professions including energy, engineering, firefighting, health, law enforcement, media and public transportation.
Oct. 29 (Thurs) – ‘Hallow-Read’ Night
5:30 to 7 p.m. at Beacon Hill Elementary School, 1411 W. Ashby Place
Literacy will be celebrated in this festivity promoting parental involvement.
Oct. 29 (Thurs) — Family Night Dinner and College Open House
6 p.m. at the Navarro Academy, 623 Pecos St.
In honor of “College – Go Get It Week!” observances students and their families will be treated to a traditional tailgate party menu. Awards for attendance and academics will be given, and information presented on the U.S. Department of Education’s Supplemental Educational Services. Family Night Dinner is a regularly-scheduled event.
Oct. 30 (Fri) — Red Ribbon Week finale
All school day at Maverick Elementary School 107 Raleigh St. at Babcock Road
This near-Northwest Side campus is among schools throughout SAISD and nationwide concluding their annual observance to live drug-free lives. Activities will be:
• 8:30 a.m. – Celebrating Science Parade
•11:25 a.m. to 12:10 p.m. – SAISD K-9 Unit presentation
•1 p.m. – Visit from crime-fighting canine Mc Gruff
•2:15 p.m. – ‘Doc Edwards’ Amazing Aquifer Adventure presentation
•2:30 p.m. – Celebrating Science Parade
Oct. 30 (Fri) — Careers on Wheels Day
9 to 11 a.m. at Schenck Elementary, 101 Kate Schenck Ave.
Students will come dressed to represent their favorite careers. Presenters will include representatives from Radio Disney, the Rainforest Café, and fire and police departments.
Oct. 31 (Sat) — Halloween paper drive and community clean up
9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive near Blanco Road
Area residents are invited to help clean up their neighborhood and to bring newspapers, catalogues, magazines, office paper and junk mail for recycling. The event is sponsored by S.W.A.T., Edison’s Student Water Action Team.
Oct. 31 (Sat) — Sixth Annual SAISD 5th-Grade Choral Cavalcade
5 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Performances by 5th-grader singers Districtwide will culminate a five-hour workshop. This year’s cavalcade will be led guest conductor Lisa Witwer, former director of the Victoria Community Children’s Choir.
KSAT: Edison High School holds mock disaster drill
KABB: SAISD student becomes first to win national Scholastic All-Star award
Express-News: Jefferson's Lassos school team is tied to a proud school history
KSAT: Fox Tech goes high-tech
KABB: Fenwick renovations getting underway
KABB: Financial literacy classes help SAISD students
San Antonio Express-News: SAISD program could teach state
San Antonio Express-News: Mariachi programs in schools growing
KENS: Alamo Stadium renovations underway
WOAI: Boy without arms gets special bike
- May 25 20 | 08:00 AM SAISD Elementary and Secondary Teacher Job Fair
- May 25 20 | 09:00 AM PTA Officer’s Training
- May 27 20 Student Holiday/Staff Development/Teacher Prof Tim...
- May 28 20 | 06:30 PM PTA 7th Regular Meeting
- June 07 20 Last Day of School/End of 4th Nine Weeks
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 08:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 11:00 AM Sam Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 02:00 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 | 05:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Make-Up Day
- June 10 20 | 05:00 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 10 20 | 08:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 14 20 | 03:30 PM GED Graduation
- June 14 20 | 08:00 PM Travis Early College High School Graduation
- June 15 20 | 05:00 PM Cooper Academy Graduation
- June 15 20 | 07:30 PM Navarro High School Graduation
- June 16 20 | 02:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony
- July 30 20 - July 31 20 | 08:00 AM Pre-K Registration schedule for 2013-14
- August 06 20 - August 09 20 Registration schedule for 2013-14