Coming Attractions October 23, 2009
October 23, 2009
Oct. 25 (Sun) — 5K Fun Run and Walk
8 a.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
The community, alumni and elected officials, including SAISD School Board members, are invited to take part in this fourth annual event. About 200 runners and walkers are expected to participate, and proceeds will go toward the basketball team’s trip to a Washington, D.C., tournament.
Oct. 26 (Mon) — Special-called School Board meeting
5:30 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive near Blanco Road
Oct. 27 (Tues) — Visit from educators nationwide
8:45 to 11:15 a.m. at the Navarro Academy, 623 Pecos St.
While in town attending the 21st annual National Dropout Prevention Network Conference 25 educators from eight states will tour the campus and visit with students attending this non-traditional high school of choice.
Oct. 27 (Tue) – ‘Litter Force’ presentation
2 p.m. at Neal Elementary School, 3407 Capitol Ave.
A quartet of anti-littering superheroes will fight the Evil Trash bad guys to encourage 1st- and 2nd-graders to join the battle to keep Texas beautiful. Neal is among 76 schools the Litter Force contingent is visiting this year as part of the Don’t Mess with Texas campaign program administered by the state’s Department of Transportation.
Oct. 28 (Wed) — SAISD College Night 2009
6 to 8:30 p.m. at the Alamo Convocation Center, 110 Tuleta St. (next to Alamo Stadium)
College and university representatives nationwide will present information on entrance requirements, housing, financial aid, and scholarships.
Oct. 29 (Thurs) — Careers on Wheels Day
8:30 to 10:30 a.m. at Graebner Elementary School, 530 Hoover St.
Presenters will represent professions including energy, engineering, firefighting, health, law enforcement, media and public transportation.
Oct. 29 (Thurs) – ‘Hallow-Read’ Night
5:30 to 7 p.m. at Beacon Hill Elementary School, 1411 W. Ashby Place
Literacy will be celebrated in this festivity promoting parental involvement.
Oct. 29 (Thurs) — Family Night Dinner and College Open House
6 p.m. at the Navarro Academy, 623 Pecos St.
In honor of “College – Go Get It Week!” observances students and their families will be treated to a traditional tailgate party menu. Awards for attendance and academics will be given, and information presented on the U.S. Department of Education’s Supplemental Educational Services. Family Night Dinner is a regularly-scheduled event.
Oct. 30 (Fri) — Red Ribbon Week finale
All school day at Maverick Elementary School 107 Raleigh St. at Babcock Road
This near-Northwest Side campus is among schools throughout SAISD and nationwide concluding their annual observance to live drug-free lives. Activities will be:
• 8:30 a.m. – Celebrating Science Parade
•11:25 a.m. to 12:10 p.m. – SAISD K-9 Unit presentation
•1 p.m. – Visit from crime-fighting canine Mc Gruff
•2:15 p.m. – ‘Doc Edwards’ Amazing Aquifer Adventure presentation
•2:30 p.m. – Celebrating Science Parade
Oct. 30 (Fri) — Careers on Wheels Day
9 to 11 a.m. at Schenck Elementary, 101 Kate Schenck Ave.
Students will come dressed to represent their favorite careers. Presenters will include representatives from Radio Disney, the Rainforest Café, and fire and police departments.
Oct. 31 (Sat) — Halloween paper drive and community clean up
9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive near Blanco Road
Area residents are invited to help clean up their neighborhood and to bring newspapers, catalogues, magazines, office paper and junk mail for recycling. The event is sponsored by S.W.A.T., Edison’s Student Water Action Team.
Oct. 31 (Sat) — Sixth Annual SAISD 5th-Grade Choral Cavalcade
5 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Performances by 5th-grader singers Districtwide will culminate a five-hour workshop. This year’s cavalcade will be led guest conductor Lisa Witwer, former director of the Victoria Community Children’s Choir.
- April 14 20 - April 17 20 | 05:20 PM Free family fitness classes
- April 17 20 | 02:00 PM Annual Fiesta Shoebox Float Parade
- April 17 20 | 06:15 PM Second Annual Pitch for the Cure
- April 18 20 Holiday - Good Friday
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony