Coming Attractions October 30, 2009
October 30, 2009
Oct. 31 (Sat) — Halloween paper drive and community clean up
9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Edison High School, 701 Santa Monica Drive near Blanco Road
Area residents are invited to help clean up their neighborhood and to bring newspapers, catalogues, magazines, office paper and junk mail for recycling. The event is sponsored by S.W.A.T., Edison’s Student Water Action Team.
Oct. 31 (Sat) — Sixth Annual SAISD 5th-Grade Choral Cavalcade
5 p.m. at Jefferson High School, 723 Donaldson Ave.
Performances by 5th-grader singers Districtwide will culminate a five-hour workshop. This year’s cavalcade will be led by guest conductor Lisa Witwer, former director of the Victoria Community Children’s Choir.
Nov. 2 (Mon) — ‘Read ’Round the World’ principal’s tea party
1:30 to 3 p.m. at Mission Academy, 9210 S. Presa St.
Parents are invited to join in a celebration of literature, play games with their children and enjoy refreshments in this highlight event for the weeklong book fair. Those who can’t make the tea party are encouraged to visit during the day or on Thursday evening when the school will be open until 6 p.m. Books from around the world will be available for purchase for either home reading or to donate to the school. Proceeds will help fund the purchase of more books to help make the goal of classroom libraries a reality.
Nov. 2-3 — Presentation by Paralympic Games medalist
10:45 a.m. at the Young Women’s Leadership Academy, 2123 W. Huisache Ave.
Two-time gold medal winner Ross Davis will bring wheelchairs to lead students through a game of hoops and other exercises so that they can experience what competition is like for those with disabilities and limited mobility. The drills will be part of a presentation on tolerance and a call to appreciate all athletes and their abilities. Davis earned a total of nine medals during his three appearances in the Paralympic Games.
Nov. 5-6 — Presentation by Olympic Sports festival medalist
8:30 a.m. at the Young Women’s Leadership Academy, 2123 W. Huisache Ave.
Rhonda Payne – who operates a martial arts center in Converse – will present the “Get Real – Realistic Everyday Awareness Lessons” safety program. The gold medalist in the 1993 Olympic Sports Festival and former Pan Am Games committee board member advocates an empowering approach to personal safety, not only through physical skills, but through awareness and assertiveness training.
Nov. 6 (Fri) — Career on Wheels Day
8:30 to 11:30 a.m. at Stewart Elementary School, 1950 Rigsby Ave.
Presenters will represent professions including energy, engineering, firefighting, health, law enforcement, media and public transportation.
Nov. 6 (Fri) – You, Your Child and Dyslexia
9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Plaza San Antonio Hotel, 555 S. Alamo St.
This Title 1 conference for parents of students identified with characteristics of dyslexia is sponsored by SAISD’s Department of Federal Programs.
Nov. 7 (Sat) — ‘Return to the Little Red Schoolhouse’ book signing
11 a.m. to noon Dicke/Smith building foyer at Trinity University, One Trinity Place
Brackenridge High School special education teacher Denise M. Turgeon will sign copies of her book that outlines a plan on how schools can effectively react to the changes and problems students face living in a fast-paced, digital society.
Nov. 7 (Sat) — The Met: HD Live in Schools program
Noon at the Regal Fiesta 16 Stadium Theatre, 12631 Vance Jackson Ave.
“Turandot,” Giacomo Puccini’s story of a Chinese princess betrothed to marry any prince who can solve her three riddles, will be the first of two live opera broadcasts participating SAISD middle school choir students and their directors will see this semester. Again this year SAISD is among school districts nationwide selected for this program offering New York Metropolitan Opera performances beamed directly from the Lincoln Center. Participation is part of a comprehensive fine arts lesson including vocals, music, history, set design, costuming and theater.
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 State Testing Dates
- April 21 20 - April 24 20 | 05:20 PM Free family fitness classes
- April 25 20 Holiday - Battle of Flowers
- April 30 20 | 04:45 PM District Leadership Team (DLT) meeting
- May 05 20 - May 09 20 State Testing Dates
- May 12 20 - May 16 20 State Testing Dates
- May 26 20 Holiday - Memorial Day
- May 29 20 | 05:00 PM Rising Star New Teacher Award Ceremony
- June 05 20 Last Day of School
- June 05 20 | 06:30 PM Lanier High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day
- June 06 20 | 05:00 PM Edison High School graduation ceremony
- June 06 20 | 08:30 PM Jefferson High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 10:00 AM Houston High School graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 02:00 PM YWLA graduation ceremony
- June 07 20 | 05:00 PM Fox Tech High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 01:00 PM Highlands High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 04:30 PM Burbank High School graduation ceremony
- June 08 20 | 08:00 PM Brackenridge High School graduation ceremony
- June 09 20 Teacher Workday/Bad Weather Day Make-up Day