International Baccalaureate Institute
|EARN UP TO 45 HOURS
OF COLLEGE CREDIT
WITH THE IB PROGRAM*
The IB program is an internationally respected college-prep curriculum that aims to develop the intellectual, personal, emotional and social skills to live, learn, and work in a global world.
The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme at Burbank High School is a comprehensive and challenging pre-university program widely recognized around the world for high academic standards and preparation for higher education. Jefferson High School is currently a candidate to become an IB World School offering the Diploma Programme as well.
The Diploma Programme prepares students for effective participation in a rapidly evolving and increasingly global society as they:
• acquire breadth and depth of knowledge and understanding by studying courses from six subject groups;
• study at least two languages and increase understanding of cultures, including their own;
• make connections across traditional academic disciplines and explore the nature of knowledge through the programme’s unique theory of knowledge course;
• complete an extended essay that engages them in independent research through an in-depth study of a question related to one of the subjects they are studying; and
• enhance their personal and interpersonal development through a range of activities that promote creativity, action and service (CAS).
In their freshmen and sophomore years, students take a mix of IB-prep and Advanced Placement courses,moving on to IB courses their last two years of high school. At the end of the programme, students take written examinations for which they may earn college credit, depending upon their scores.
*College credits include AP and IB credit-by-exam